Makeshift soap rack

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made myself a soap rack out of a shoe rack. Wish I had sent the rebate in because then the rack would have been $10 but I lost track of time. I made the shelves from pine edging, so it would catch on the poles and glued shims on with the higher part of the wedge toward the front to help decrease the forward slope. I think it will accommodate at least two hundred bars and probably more but I'm trying not to use the lowest racks since I have pets and specifically cats.

Just thought I'd share!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Newbie, that is impressive (even more so because you made it yourself). Looks like it will hold tons of soap. I love seeing how other soapers organize their supplies and what they use for storage solutions. I have that same set of heavy duty plastic shelves to the right.

I'm completely useless as far as building something so my husband made this rack for me (ignore the trial run display up front). My soaps are round so I really needed shelves that would keep the bars from rolling around.

IMG_4275.jpg

Newbie, you did a great job. :thumbup: The problem I usually notice with shelving hacked for curing soap, is that the shelves are so far apart, (like on your shelves on the right in your picture), and there's so much wasted space. Your shelves are nice and close together, with room for tons and tons of soap...yay!

The space between the racks is the problem. I have a bunch of regular racks but exactly, what a waste of space! I looked into getting commercial kitchen racks, that hold bakery trays but getting the rack and then all the trays would be well over $100, although it would hold a lot of soap and be wheeled. That would require a little altering as well so the soap wouldn't touch the metal trays, so this seemed cheap and worth it. The base is not very wide though so I'm trying to figure out how to balance the soap the best without overweighting it forward. For a non-professional, this is definitely worth it.

I love the wooden rack in your picture, especially since the wire racks are already coated, Crazy Wolf. I wish I were a bit more handy, but admittedly I don't need anything that looks good at this point.

If you aren't using the bottom shelves, I suggest placing something on them so that the shelf doesn't get top heavy and tip. I had the same thought to keep the bottom shelves clear for cats... But tipped the whole system.

The space between the racks is the problem. I have a bunch of regular racks but exactly, what a waste of space! I looked into getting commercial kitchen racks, that hold bakery trays but getting the rack and then all the trays would be well over $100, although it would hold a lot of soap and be wheeled. That would require a little altering as well so the soap wouldn't touch the metal trays, so this seemed cheap and worth it. The base is not very wide though so I'm trying to figure out how to balance the soap the best without overweighting it forward. For a non-professional, this is definitely worth it.

I love the wooden rack in your picture, especially since the wire racks are already coated, Crazy Wolf. I wish I were a bit more handy, but admittedly I don't need anything that looks good at this point.

I've dreamed of one of those commercial racks for a long time. This was the best price I've found... http://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...n-sheet-pan-rack-unassembled/109RACKECON.html I did miss out on a used one on Craig's list, they seem to go pretty fast when you see a used one for sale. What I would do is build the racks myself. I've already built the ones I use now, and they are very simple. Just build a square frame and staple window screening material (non metallic) to it. The ones above are nice, they come with wheels, and would hold so much. I lust after them. Lustily. But have yet to convince myself that I really need such a beautiful thing. There is a smaller (cheaper) one... http://www.webstaurantstore.com/reg...bun-sheet-pan-rack-unassembled/600PR103K.html and I think it would be much easier to convince myself that I "need" this one. It would tuck nicely into the corner of my craft room.

I have a couple of the plastic racks also... but I cut the plastic tubes in half to eliminate some of the excess space, and it worked for me.

Yes, that's exactly the one I was eyeballing, of the metal racks! I thought about using screening material on the shoe rack as well but fear it will get saggy and since it isn't a hard surface, that the soaps would tip all over the place.

I will definitely go an place some weights on the bottom shelf. A tip would be bad for all concerned.

Back