Make Your Own Naturally Balanced Shampoo Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She uses too many buzzwords on her website for me to trust her. I haven't bought any of Susan Barclay-Nichols's books myself, but they have been highly recommended in the community, so maybe try swiftcrafty monkey first. When I was formulating more, a subscription to her blog was invaluable to me. Her books are more economical too.

Has anybody purchased the book by LisaLise entitled "Make your own naturally balanced shampoo bars" (https://www.lisalise.com/shop/make-your-own-shampoo-bars)? It costs $36.50 which I find a bit excessive for only 70 pages. I am wondering whether it is worth the price.
Preservative free.... 6 months suggested life after the first use? It takes me longer than that to go through just one of my bars. I agree, I find that a little pricey.

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided not to purchase the book. There are enough recipes between Susan Barclay Nichols, Humblebee and Aroma-zone.

She uses too many buzzwords on her website for me to trust her. I haven't bought any of Susan Barclay-Nichols's books myself, but they have been highly recommended in the community, so maybe try swiftcrafty monkey first. When I was formulating more, a subscription to her blog was invaluable to me. Her books are more economical too.
I have bought 3 ebooks from SwiftCraftyMonkey, AKA:Susan Barclay. They are excellent. I also am a patreon on her site. She knows what she’s talking about & her prices are reasonable. I’ve been making her shampoo bars for at least 5 years and I love them.

I tried their shampoo but it irritates my scalp so I am not very keen. I haven't tried the conditioner.
They have a new formula that everyone was raving about but I'm not sure (I bought it but haven't made it yet, no energy for product testing)...I think maybe it doesn't contain SLSA, so it might not be as irritating. It's the hot pour one.

I use the DIY Bath and Body shampoo bar recipe and my family and close friends love it. For the conditioning bar I use Humblebee & Me conditioning bar. Vanilla Spice Conditioner Bar - Humblebee & Me

She gives substitutions at the end of each recipe. She is my go-to page since she has lots of different recipes..
Which shampoo bar do you use? The hot pour one?

The recipe is one you have to heat up - but is not pourable (SCI Solid Shampoo Bar). I have to press still into bars. I actually use the powder form since I found the noodles fell apart too quickly near the end.
That's the one I have. Unfortunately, it irritates my scalp that's why I am interested in the one they call "DIY Shampoo bars - Hot pour" which seems to be a new one.

That's the one I have. Unfortunately, it irritates my scalp that's why I am interested in the one they call "DIY Shampoo bars - Hot pour" which seems to be a new one.
If you are on Facebook, they have a DIY Bath and Body Shop group to talk about the DIY recipes (you can't discuss other recipes in that group). Another good one I'm a part of is Syndet Shampoo Bars. I think this is Susan's group (or at least I know she's a member).

If you are on Facebook, they have a DIY Bath and Body Shop group to talk about the DIY recipes (you can't discuss other recipes in that group). Another good one I'm a part of is Syndet Shampoo Bars. I think this is Susan's group (or at least I know she's a member).
Thank you. I didn't know about this Facebook group and have applied to join.

I have both recipes and love both. When I have the pressed bars at the market, they sell very quickly. I have one customer who buys 3-4 at a time. Currently, I'm using the hot pour recipe and my hair loves it! I only need a bit of light conditioning on the ends in order to comb through my wet hair. There are several options in the recipe for different hair types; I use the Sunflower Shampoo for normal to dry hair.

If your scalp is itchy using the pressed bars, it's likely because of the CAPB. You can sub it out for something like Foaming Silk, Foaming Apple, or Foaming Oat, different surfactants. That has made a big difference for several people, including my husband. I now have one bar that I call my Winter Scalp bar that uses Foaming Silk and additives like nettle and white willow bark extracts as well as EO's good for hair and scalp (tea tree and rosemary).

First pic is the pressed DIY shampoo bars. Second is the Hot Pourable, scented with Sandalwood FO.

Shampoo.png Sunflower Sandalwood (1).png

Latest posts

Back