Major disaster!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porumi

Reaction score
So was going to make myself some fancy soap...

Three layers with piping on top with heart embedded. As i could not cover the mould without damaging the top, decided to do cpop. My previously made MP hearts melted!!!! The lovely piping has disappeared underneath :( So upset!!!

It went from this to this....
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1378579978.356743.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1378579993.522944.jpg

How to do guys force gell when a top cant be covered?

Thanks,
Porumi

I personally don't force gel, ever. I'm so sad for you, that was a gorgeous top. Maybe next time, leave it be to gel or not gel as it wants - a partial gel circle inside isn't a big deal IMO.

Oh no!!

I think gelling tends to melt all the fancy details, like piping. I don't know if people gel at all with that kind of detail. You definitely can't mix in M&P with CP soap if you plan to gel because the M&P can't withstand the heat. If you want to add M&P embellishments on the tops, you add them after gelling so they don't do just this, melt all over the place.

Lots of people do the fancy piping and detail; I do not. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about this.

Bummer!!! It was so pretty and unique too! Next time definately go the ungelled route. Put in the freezer or fridge overnight. This will keep it cold through most or all of the sponification process. Just lightly cover with some plastic wrap after spritzing with alcohol and put it in a safe spot in the fridge/freezer.

OH no :( so sorry! The melted mix doesn't look too bad - reminds me of melted mixed up candy! mmm ... lol. I still want to see it cut - I bet it will look cool, even though it was not intended to be this way. Stay positive.

Can't believe I didnt think of the fridge before I stuck it in the oven! Honestly, so upset with myself. Took me ages to do all the piping and now all ruined.

At least it is a good recepie, so soap will be ok, just not pretty :(

Thanks,
Porumi

That's the spirit! Lessons are learned in the worst time... but think.. next time it won't happen. I bet it will still look neat when you cut it. Maybe tie-dyed like?

Thanks guys.. I have never done it ungelled. How is it done?

Thanks,
Porumi

I don't use the fridge. Unless there is a lot of honey, sugar, or beer (some fridge milk soap, I have not, but it will gel if you don't) and you want ungelled, then use the fridge.

For ungelled, I just spay the top with 91% rubbing alcohol and leave it alone. Don't wrap or cover. Just walk away and don't bother it anymore until time to cut.

Your piping and hearts were beautiful and I know you are disappointed. It still looks like it may turn out to be an interesting soap though. Keep us posted when you cut!

So tomorrow i want to try again... What are your suggestions I should do? Fridge, freezer, leave it open? I cant cover the top due to the detail.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Porumi

If you really want to be sure that it won't gel, you should put it in the freezer for 2 or 3 hours, and then move it into the fridge for another 3 or 4 hours (or even overnight), Porumi ..... It would be a shame to do all of that work again, create another beautiful soap - and then find it's partially gelled when you cut.

Good luck! (And like the others, I'd love to see both when you've cut them ...!)

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Ta Saswede.

Anyone know what would happen if i just left it uncovered overnight? Part gel and ash?

Thanks,
Porumi

Here's a solution if you want your soap to gel - find a cardboard carton that your mold will fit inside that is a little taller than your mold. Cover your mold with it. Insulate as usual. Gel but not overheating. You can also cut a carton down to get it to the dimensions that you want.

If you left it alone and uncovered, it would depend on your recipe and your fragrance. If you soap relatively cool, it might not gel at all. Or you might get partial gel. I would spray the top with alcohol, though.

What I haven't seen mentioned so far is if you decide to go the NON gel route with the fridge or freezer or a combo of them both, you don't unmold it or cut it until it doesn't zap. This can take up to several days. Since you are preventing the gel with the cold temps, it takes a lot longer for the lye to become de-activated. If I go the non gel route, I just leave it in the freezer for several hours depending on what my mold is. If it's wood, I have left it in over night and then just let it thaw and come to temp. If it's in a wood mold, I just leave it in the mold or take it out va the liner and leave it alone for a couple days. After that is when I star to zap test. If it still zaps, I leave it alone for at least another day and retest then. I do this method a lot with my goat milk soap to prevent the sugars from scorching.

Sorry for your loss .. I know that took a lot of work.

My soaps partial gel and the tops still melt when I leave them uncovered. IMO anything with fancy tops should be froze for at least 12 hours then moved into the fridge for another 12-24 hours.

For soap with melt and pour embeds I would choose the fridge/freezer, the soap gets hot enough to melt these during gel, as you have seen.
I learned the hard way too

Back