Majestic Mountain Sage FOs - worth it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I'm considering placing an order, and I'm noticing their FOs are pricier than some other sellers, such as BB and WSP. BB (for example) averages about $8-$9 for a 4 oz bottle; MMS averages $12 and up. I've heard rave reviews about their Green Tea and I want some more Toasted Coconut (picked it up in a swap).

But I'm a bit leery - shipping is going to be not cheap from WA to Alabama. Are their FOs THAT good?

I love their Green Tea, but sadly, being on the east coast, I can no longer justify the shipping charges. I miss it dearly. Other FOs that I ordered from them were very nice, too. If you're in Alabama, it won't be cheap for you either, but give them a try and see if you think it's worth it for you.

I order from MMS about once a year and get a variety of lotion making and packaging supplies as well as soaping stuff. Recently they started to offer free shipping for orders of $200 or more. That's quite a large order for me, but I think I can make that work, due to the wide range of items I can get from them.

As far as whether the FOs from MMS are worth it -- every supplier has its winners and its losers cuz each person's nose is different and MMS is no different. I'd say their scents are good quality, but I have tried some I'd never order again for various reasons. Autumn Afternoon from Majestic Mountain Sage is one of my favorite FOs so far, and I have not found anyone else who carries it (not that I've checked everywhere, but I've kept looking!) This FO a hit with most everyone else who has sniffed it. I have MMS Green Tea on my list to order. I am currently using Nature's Garden Green Tea, so I want to compare.

Here's a thread talking about MMS fragrances that might be helpful: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=56515

Thats funny Deeanna, I made a small batch of soap with the sample of Autumn Afternoon you send me and no one likes it. I think it smells like moldy leaves lol. I plan on placing a order sometime this year with them, I do love most of their FO's that I've used.

Huckleberry was especially popular with everyone so thats on my list, I just wish they would restock carrot.

Oy. <...slinking off...>

Well, I guess that goes to show that every nose is different. I definitely don't smell moldy leaves, so I'm bummed that this FO didn't work out for you. I first used it at 3% ppo but upped it to 5% for my later batches.

Their Green Tea is most awesome.

I also love these from them:

Ginger Milk
Intense Almond
Myrrh
Relaxation
Somali Rose
White Ginger & Amber

Like Obsidian, I wish they still stocked their carrot FO. It was quite wonderful smelling.

And I find their flavor oils for lip balms to be most excellent as well. I use quite a few of them, but I get absolutely the most requests from my family for their peach flavor.

IrishLass :)

I love their Green Tea, but sadly, being on the east coast, I can no longer justify the shipping charges. I miss it dearly. Other FOs that I ordered from them were very nice, too. If you're in Alabama, it won't be cheap for you either, but give them a try and see if you think it's worth it for you.

I hit the calculate shipping button and shipping was about $10, so not too horrible. I've heard a couple of folks say that, I wonder if they've managed to get a better deal since then?

I love MMS. They are in UT, not WA. Brambleberry is out of WA. MMS and BB are my top 2 fave scent suppliers, the 3rd being Sweet Cakes. That's me, though. I'll always fall in love with the most expensive item on the shelf, on a Wal-Mart budget! :mrgreen: I've had very good results with the few scents I've tried from Rustic Escentuals, as well.

WSP is hit and miss. Love the folks, their prices, service, and the scents in candles. Used in soap recipes . . . meh. Mixed. Having said that, let me point out that ALL of my soap contains beeswax (which melts at a fairly high 145 deg.) and honey (which delights in overheating) and I try to soap as cool possible, but before the beeswax hardens again. FOs can act weirdly in my little window of opportunity. And a few have been short-lived. But that's soapmaking, isn't it?

Shipping is high for ALL suppliers of FOs and that is due to the shippers' costs, and the regs they have to follow. If we as an industry could lobby for sensible regulations (rather than simply automatically following the strictest European ones without thought) the prices could come down on shipping. Shipping on FOs is our single biggest expense, usually. You just have to figure it into your costs and consider raising your prices.

~HoneyLady~

I hit the calculate shipping button and shipping was about $10, so not too horrible. I've heard a couple of folks say that, I wonder if they've managed to get a better deal since then?

Well, I'm going to have to check that out. If that's the case, I'll definitely be ordering myself some Green Tea. Thanks!

OK, I just went to check. It's been a while since I've visited their site. Wow, have their prices gone up! $38.30 for a pound of Green Tea FO. I can't remember exactly how much it was the last time I ordered, but I know it was not that much. Shipping definitely seems to have gone down. I could get that shipped UPS ground for $10.43. And if I bought two more pounds of FOs, the price for shipping dropped to $7.95! But $38.30 per pound for a FO is more than I'm willing to pay. It's really lovely. I haven't found any other that I like as well, but there are other nice ones that are cheaper, and I just can't justify that expense. :-(

Last edited:
Well, I'm going to have to check that out. If that's the case, I'll definitely be ordering myself some Green Tea. Thanks!

OK, I just went to check. It's been a while since I've visited their site. Wow, have their prices gone up! $38.30 for a pound of Green Tea FO. I can't remember exactly how much it was the last time I ordered, but I know it was not that much. Shipping definitely seems to have gone down. I could get that shipped UPS ground for $10.43. And if I bought two more pounds of FOs, the price for shipping dropped to $7.95! But $38.30 per pound for a FO is more than I'm willing to pay. It's really lovely. I haven't found any other that I like as well, but there are other nice ones that are cheaper, and I just can't justify that expense. :-(

That's why I started this thread! If their FOs are objectively better - last longer, less likely to discolor or accelerate, then it might be worth it. But they are consistently more expensive than Brambleberry. I price compared cetyl alcohol, high melt shea, avocado oil and meadowfoam seed oil and BB was significantly cheaper on each one. Plus BB's website has pictures of their products in CP soap and also the review section for each product. The only place I can find reviews of MMS products is here or Soap Scent Review Forum.

That's why I started this thread! If their FOs are objectively better - last longer, less likely to discolor or accelerate, then it might be worth it. But they are consistently more expensive than Brambleberry. I price compared cetyl alcohol, high melt shea, avocado oil and meadowfoam seed oil and BB was significantly cheaper on each one. Plus BB's website has pictures of their products in CP soap and also the review section for each product. The only place I can find reviews of MMS products is here or Soap Scent Review Forum.

Dixie, while I thought all of the FOs that I ordered from them were good, none of them (except the Green Tea) were something that I couldn't get as cheaply elsewhere, and with cheaper shipping. I kept ordering their GT, just because it was soooo nice, and I could never find as nice a one anywhere else, but it got to the point that it seemed silly, not to mention expensive, to order just one FO, so I eventually quit. But I still miss it.

FWIW =-

I do find that the MMS FOs are a bit more concentrated . . . so I use maybe 33% - 50% less per batch than others. But that's not a hard and fast rule, either.

My only gripe about MMS is that they lean towards fruity scents, and perfume dupes with fruity scents. Their plumberry is to die for. Other than that, the only reason *I* use fruity scents is that people like them and buy them. I despise them all -- except lemon. :think:

So I don't buy as many things as I would, but they have a niche, and they are great at it. It's just not *my* niche, LOL. I also really like their forum, and some of the recipes I've tried.

~HoneyLady~

When I first started out I bought most of my fo's from MMS. Now that I'm in the "biz", I can't afford their products anymore! The only fo I buy from them is their coconut fo. It's the best! Shipping costs are pretty steep and I live in northern Nevada! Convenient only if I need something asap.

When I first started out I bought most of my fo's from MMS. Now that I'm in the "biz", I can't afford their products anymore! The only fo I buy from them is their coconut fo. It's the best! Shipping costs are pretty steep and I live in northern Nevada! Convenient only if I need something asap.

Straight coconut? I love their Toasted Coconut.

Reviving this thread... someone just asked what my fave MMS scents were. Actually there are so many it's hard to list them all! The obvious ones you may recognize from other vendors so I won't bother to list them.

Warm Vanilla Sugar
Tahitian Vanilla
Sweetgrass
White Ginger & Amber
Amber Romance
Bay Rum
Bayberry
Lilly of the Valley
Juniper Breeze
Red Clover Tea
Eucalyptus Mint
Osmanthus
Coconut Lime Verbena
Egyptian Musk

Sadly, they don't publish reviews or results for each fragrance but you can call and ask for details, even a list of top sellers or samples. They used to have a deal for free shipping on a dozen 1 ounce sizes. Wouldn't hurt to ask!

TIP: I use their Fragrance Calc and find it to be trustworthy for CP, HP, LS, Lotion and other B & B products. Use the drop down menu to see a list of all the EOs and FOs they carry. Once again, high quality, stronger and longer lasting than other vendors I've used.

Their Blog is worth browsing -- especially the recipes covered on all manner of bath and body products, not just soap. I have a couple of winning recipes from there. It's been a while since I was active there. I'm thinking I need to go indulge myself again!

Last edited:
Reviving this thread... someone just asked what my fave MMS scents were. Actually there are so many it's hard to list them all! The obvious ones you may recognize from other vendors so I won't bother to list them.

Warm Vanilla Sugar
Tahitian Vanilla
Sweetgrass
White Ginger & Amber
Amber Romance
Bay Rum
Bayberry
Lilly of the Valley
Juniper Breeze
Red Clover Tea
Eucalyptus Mint
Osmanthus
Coconut Lime Verbena
Egyptian Musk

Sadly, they don't publish reviews or results for each fragrance but you can call and ask for details, even a list of top sellers or samples. They used to have a deal for free shipping on a dozen 1 ounce sizes. Wouldn't hurt to ask!

TIP: I use their Fragrance Calc and find it to be trustworthy for CP, HP, LS, Lotion and other B & B products. Use the drop down menu to see a list of all the EOs and FOs they carry. Once again, high quality, stronger and longer lasting than other vendors I've used.

Their Blog is worth browsing -- especially the recipes covered on all manner of bath and body products, not just soap. I have a couple of winning recipes from there. It's been a while since I was active there. I'm thinking I need to go indulge myself again!

Thank you for this!

Latest posts

Back