Maintaining Scent On Skin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perkyc

Reaction score
My soap smells wonderful as a bar but I am having a hard time having the scent stay on the skin when washing with it. You can almost never smell the scent on your skin right after washing. I was wondering if there was anyway to improve this without having to add a rediculous amount of FO. I am currently using 1.5-2% FO & EO concentration.

You can try this:
1000gr of oil used in a recipe, you can use between 30 - 50 grams of scent.
Here is a link where you can find more information soap making
http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/essential-oils.html

Good luck Let us know the outcome
icon14.gif

Last edited:
You might want to try a blend with top, middle and base notes. The top notes disappear quickly and the base notes linger. Citrus EOs are notorious for not sticking, using litsea cubeba and clay can help give the scent staying power.

Well, that's really the problem-you are washing it away. Have you tried making a lotion bar or solid perfume that matches the scent you are looking for? I'm an ex-Avon rep, but they would always push us to sell the "layered fragrance" lines with shower gels, lotions, and perfumes to keep the scent going all day...I was a terrible sales woman :) I only sold it so I could get discounts on make up.

Your nose is smelling the fragrance in the lather as you wash, and when the lather washes off, so goes most of the scent. You could increase the fragrance % some as others have suggested. Also keep in mind that your nose will quickly become used to a scent, so you might not smell it after a brief time, even if the scent is obvious to others.

I'm going to ditto what everyone else has said. Soap isn't really meant to be smelled on your skin too long after you've used it if you're rinsing well.

Thanks for all the great feedback! It's not a big deal in my eyes. I make bars that are good for your skin. The FO is just to get it off the shelves initially. I had a customer with this concern and thought I would try to see if there was a cheap alternative to try and make everyone happy. :p Thanks again for all the wonderful feedback.

Thanks for all the great feedback! It's not a big deal in my eyes. I make bars that are good for your skin. The FO is just to get it off the shelves initially. I had a customer with this concern and thought I would try to see if there was a cheap alternative to try and make everyone happy. :p Thanks again for all the wonderful feedback.

Then definitely upsell some other goodies that stay on the skin ;) Try this out: http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/recipe/recipe.asp?recipe_id=639

Someone posted last month on SMF about a customer who liked how her soap was gentle on the skin and nice to use, but the customer complained that the scent was not strong enough to stay on her skin after she dried off. I guess some customers are expecting a soap that is scented enough to be a perfume too, which seems a little unrealistic. Even the old Irish Spring soap with a scent so strong it made my eyes water didn't do that! I agree with Liz ... this might be a chance to upsell!

Maybe you could offer spritzers with the same fo. I have no idea how to make them though! I would like to make an aftershave spray or something but I've not had the time to research it. If anyone knows....feel free to enlighten me :)

Back