Made the first move

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellynewbie

Reaction score
Well today I made the first move in my soap addiction. I've ordered lots of supplies I just hope I have everything needed to make a start
Here's what I have up to yet

Lye ,olive oil ,castor oil ,coconut oil ,jojoba oil,Mica, fragrance oils ,shea butter ,avacardo butter,moulds, bowls spoons jugs

Do you think I have everything I need to get started ? Xx

Googles. The best you can afford. Splashes can get sneakyou and eyes are delicate.

Gloves....and extra gloves if you don't but boxed nitrile gloves. I love being able to whip off my gloves if I suspect something got inside and have a clean replacement at my side.

Memorized knowledge of lye safety.

A plan of action if you have a horrible spill on yourself.

Boy, I'm in safety mode today aren't I?

ETA: by best googles I mean best fitting so there's no spaces around the eyes for splashes to get in.

Last edited:
Distilled water? I'm trying to go through my process in my head step by step and see what I use that you don't have listed lol. Maybe an extra roll of paper towels or some old rags. And if you're like me, an apron. I dumped a whole container of disbursed blue mica down the front of me. Ruined my apron and sweatshirt. So maybe a vinyl apron :)

BTW, I think you will find that avocado butter and jojoba oil are wasted in CP. If you want to try them, no harm - but maybe make a small batch. Jojoba is wonderful in lip balm.

Good fitting goggles
Long gloves
Stick blender
Good scale, you will want one that can do at least .01 oz, this won't be cheap but when you need to weigh 3.45 ounces and your scale won't do it you have a problem. I would also recommend one with a tare feature and at least an 11 pound weight limit.

Good fitting goggles
Long gloves
Stick blender
Good scale, you will want one that can do at least .01 oz, this won't be cheap but when you need to weigh 3.45 ounces and your scale won't do it you have a problem. I would also recommend one with a tare feature and at least an 11 pound weight limit.

If you use a metric scale you can buy a glass topped one that tares very cheaply.

Last edited:
Stuff you need

I have a non contact thermometer that I got from Amazon, I use it for a lot of stuff, any questions about your oil and lye temp you know instantly. Also ph strips (I'm not licking any soap, sorry). I also got a cheap lab coat. Why? Cause if you spill on it you just TAKE IT OFF. You aren't trying to get lye of your sleeves
Now I can feel like a mad scientist. Also got a cheap mask because it looks like I'm sensitive to lye fumes. And vinegar for clean up.
I mix my lye out on my apartment balcony. With my goggles, lab coat and mask, I think the neighbors are really starting to wonder about me.

Googles. The best you can afford. Splashes can get sneakyou and eyes are delicate.

Gloves....and extra gloves if you don't but boxed nitrile gloves. I love being able to whip off my gloves if I suspect something got inside and have a clean replacement at my side.

Memorized knowledge of lye safety.

A plan of action if you have a horrible spill on yourself.

Boy, I'm in safety mode today aren't I?

ETA: by best googles I mean best fitting so there's no spaces around the eyes for splashes to get in.

BTW: yes I know that g o g g l e s is misspelled in this post. But my stupid computer insists on turning eye safety gear into google!!!! I thought it was funny - and a little scary since Google seem to be taking over the world.

I have a non contact thermometer that I got from Amazon, I use it for a lot of stuff, any questions about your oil and lye temp you know instantly. Also ph strips (I'm not licking any soap, sorry). I also got a cheap lab coat. Why? Cause if you spill on it you just TAKE IT OFF. You aren't trying to get lye of your sleeves

Now I can feel like a mad scientist. Also got a cheap mask because it looks like I'm sensitive to lye fumes. And vinegar for clean up.

I mix my lye out on my apartment balcony. With my goggles, lab coat and mask, I think the neighbors are really starting to wonder about me.

If you aren't licking the soap, you are rejecting the best testing method for a home soaper out of hand-

pH strips are bad at measuring the pH of soap.

The pH of soap tells you very little about whether or not it is safe to use

So please, don't throw out one of the best options that you have just because it sounds like an icky thing to do

Good fitting goggles
Long gloves
Stick blender
A KD7000 or KD800 are great scales that last years. You really do not need a scale that weighs down to 0.01 0.05 is sufficient for soap. http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-kd8000.html. The KD7000 is on sale for $31.00 ^^

I agree that jojoba and avocado are wasted in soap. I prefer nitrile gloves over larger playtex type gloves. Gloves that are to loose or thick are not safe in my opinion.

I have the the kd800 and I have to say that I wished it weighed in finer amounts. But you are right they work and are 90% a good option for the money. You can always get a small pocket Scale that handles a couple of pounds for finer amounts. I picked one up for less than $10 on Amazon.

As far as exotic oils go as long as 100% of oils remain unconverted I will continue to use them because they offer a benefit.

Robert

I have a non contact thermometer that I got from Amazon, I use it for a lot of stuff, any questions about your oil and lye temp you know instantly. Also ph strips (I'm not licking any soap, sorry).

Most experienced soapers have long since either stopped using their thermometers, or stopped using them for soap. pH strips are not at all effective in telling you if your soap is safe. Zap testing does. And after all, if you aren't willing to risk your tongue on your soap, why should anyone else be willing to risk their skin?

OP- I think you have the best tool already, a willingness to study and learn this craft. And you have the best supplier also- this forum. You may hate what we tell you, you may even hate how we tell you or that we even find it necessary to tell you, but you can count on it being truth.

Last edited:
Back