Made my second batch tonight - not looking good!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KigerKat

Reaction score
I poured it in the mold about 2 1/2 hours ago. I lifted the towel to take a peek (clear lid on top) and there is a bunch of oil pooling on the top and the mold feels much warmer than when I poured.

The only thing I did differently between this batch and the first batch I did a couple of weeks ago was that I poured when it was a thinner consistency. Last time, the soap looked like a really thick pudding when I poured and my 'swirl' kind of sat on the top when I gave it a try.

This time (because I poured when the soap was at a thinner consistency), I was able to do what I thought to be a really nice swirl. I'm just worried that maybe I should have mixed just a few minutes more.

What do you guys think? I know to wait until tomorrow to be sure, I've seen other posts where people see oil on the top and then they are okay the next day. But I'm more worried about the fact that the mold feels very warm. I know there's still a chemical reaction going on, but this didn't happen last time.

I'll post pics tomorrow.

It could be two things. The first being that it is gelling, and you just need to let it do its thing, which is probably what is going on. Does it look like oil? Or more like greasy vaseline? The mold getting much warmer is normal and what happens when the lye reacts with the oils.

Don't panic. It is probably fine. On the other hand, are you sure it did reach trace before you poured? It might be that you did need to blend longer and did not get everything incorporated. Be patient and wait until tomorrow! Hard. I know! :lol:

if you mixed it well, it can be poured at a thin stage, as long as the oils mixed with the water/lye, its prob ok, although ive never had oil on top?Its totally normal to get hot, it will do that. All you can do is wait and see? let us know tom.

lol

hang in there! don't give up on it :)

i have one going to night that was getting super hot and cracking in the center, but was only half gelled. I took the towel off the top for a bit, and have been putting it back on and off, babying my gel along. once it reaches the edges, i'll keep the towel off the top

I bet it will be fine , it does look strange when it starts gelling and spreading and getting hot .

Kitn

Here's what I've got this morning

I poured into 2 different molds. The first one is a silicone mold with a clear lid. The other is a cardboard box, and you can see the top of the soap much better. I didn't peek at that one last night, since I could check the first one without taking the lid off.

They've been curing for 14 hours now. They aren't warm anymore, but you can see beads of liquid on top of the soap in the second picture. I'm not sure what that is or if I need to be worried. I'm hoping you guys can let me know if I should give up and toss it.

Thanks!

P1040993.jpg

P1040994.jpg

YAY! Soap! Since they were the same batch, you should be okay. Let that one with the oils seeping out set for a bit longer. The oil will probably resorb and be fine.

I just have to tell you that I had a very similar thing happen last week, in that same batch two exactly the same molds (pringles cans), and two totally different results. The one that flopped, though, was REALLY bad.

Your's should be fine with that little bit of oil seeping through. It lools lovely! Can't wait to see it cut! :D

KigerKat: I haven't had a batch do this, so I am not sure about the drops. I hope they will reabsorb as mentioned and it turns out for you. I wondered where you found your silicone mold with a lid and what you used to color the soap? It looks beautiful, I can't wait to see it cut.

Bnky said:
KigerKat: I haven't had a batch do this, so I am not sure about the drops. I hope they will reabsorb as mentioned and it turns out for you. I wondered where you found your silicone mold with a lid and what you used to color the soap? It looks beautiful, I can't wait to see it cut.

I'm hoping it turns out as well!! The recipe was a little larger than I had planned - I'm wondering if anyone has found a good way to resize recipes? I would rather just use the silicone mold so that way all of my soaps come out looking the same.

I got the mold on Ebay for $40. I really liked the fact that it comes with a clear lid, so you can peek at it without opening and also the lid helps keep the shape of the mold. I was a little worried that the silicone would bow in the middle, but the lid does a great job holding it in place! Here's the link to another one they have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicone-Soap-Mold- ... 911.c0.m14

As for the coloring, I used liquid pigment in a wine color. I honestly doesn't look the same as it did last night - it had more of a deep red/purple color. Now it looks pinker. It is scented with Christmas Pear, which smells soooo yummy!!

Latest posts

Back