Made my first soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deafsoaper

Reaction score
Made my first soap last night and just recently cut the block into 4

This is just base recipe, unscented and no colorants. Just want to see how it work out

Look good so far lol... will see in 4 weeks

Attachments

• IMG-20220704-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20220704-WA0004.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220705_131937.jpg
    20220705_131937.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220705_133318.jpg
    20220705_133318.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 0
Great job! I just love a pure and simple soap like that!
Now the hard part is the waiting time of at least 4 weeks lol
I also love a pure, basic soap and your turned out beautifully! You must have been patient enough to wait until the right time to cut. Congratulations on your first batch! What's next on your list?
Thank you :) ..Made it around 9-10pm last night and cut it around 1pm today

Hmm not sure yet .. on my list French green clay, French pink clay, orange peel powder, ground coffee, oatmeal,

It looks perfect! I think a plain white soap has it's own kind of elegance. The waiting is hard and to be honest I sacrificed a bar by cutting it in half and testing it for hand washing earlier. After the first couple of batches, you will always have cured soap so the waiting isn't so difficult.

It looks perfect! I think a plain white soap has it's own kind of elegance. The waiting is hard and to be honest I sacrificed a bar by cutting it in half and testing it for hand washing earlier. After the first couple of batches, you will always have cured soap so the waiting isn't so difficult.
Thanks
Lol I wonder everybody here sacrificed a bar to test try from their first batch

Now I gotta figure out how much of each additive to my base recipe like charcoal, oatmeal, orange peel powder etc

Your soap is gorgeous! I slice a very very thin slice from the end of loaf soaps. It cures quickly so I can sample in a week. Or if I have enough scraps in the soaping bowl I scrape out with a spatula and put into a very small container (paper cupcake holders are great for a blob of soap to dry down.) Waiting is difficult if not impossible!!!!

It's perfect for a first soap. Small batch. No scent. No Colorant.

We all have 'sacrificial' bars of soap (some more than others). They can be a full bar that has been cut in half, they can be end pieces from a larger loaf...I used to put some of my 'extra' batter in a individual cavity mold for some 'me soap' that I could use at the sink. Now I just make 'sink soap'. LOL

This looks great. It would work excellent for persons with sensitive soap. Keep it up
Thanks

Yeah that was my intention ... I want to make sensitive/skim benefits soaps .. no scents and no chemical colourants
It's perfect for a first soap. Small batch. No scent. No Colorant.

We all have 'sacrificial' bars of soap (some more than others). They can be a full bar that has been cut in half, they can be end pieces from a larger loaf...I used to put some of my 'extra' batter in a individual cavity mold for some 'me soap' that I could use at the sink. Now I just make 'sink soap'. LOL
Haha nice! I will cut one of the bars into smaller size next time

I wonder everybody here sacrificed a bar to test try from their first batch
Yes. Put that bar to work! Use a "Cure Card" to make notes.
Date of Manufacture. Weight of Bar at first cut.
Then note the weight over the next 4-6 weeks.
When it stops losing weight, that's usually a sign that it's fully cured.
Also note how it feels at first (probably dry and possibly a little sting) and after it's cured (probably awesome!)

Put the bar away along with the print out of the recipe and the cure card for future reference.
Give it another test drive once a year to see improvement, if any.

I still have many bars put away in a guest bedroom drawer from when I first started soaping. It's a fun "Trip Down Memory Lane" once a year, usually after the holidays when time just seems to drag.

Yes. Put that bar to work! Use a "Cure Card" to make notes.
Date of Manufacture. Weight of Bar at first cut.
Then note the weight over the next 4-6 weeks.
When it stops losing weight, that's usually a sign that it's fully cured.
Also note how it feels at first (probably dry and possibly a little sting) and after it's cured (probably awesome!)

Put the bar away along with the print out of the recipe and the cure card for future reference.
Give it another test drive once a year to see improvement, if any.

I still have many bars put away in a guest bedroom drawer from when I first started soaping. It's a fun "Trip Down Memory Lane" once a year, usually after the holidays when time just seems to drag.
Yup...Already wrote the date and bars' weights... do a weekly check-ins

Made a couple more soaps... French pink clay and seamoss with indigo powder to mimic the sea blue colour but unfortunately didn't work out or didn't put enough in

Will post pictures... not home at the moment

Latest posts

Back