Made my first soap!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kniquy

Reaction score
Yesterday i made my first soap - I used the soap cal site to determine my recipe. I included Olive oil, Caster Oil, Coconut and Shea butter. I ended up adding a FO coconut lime. I am not expecting any great out comes but was just learning the process.

i gathered all my ingredients and ended up putting all the oils together in a pot and warmed on the stove. (Our microwave died many months ago and we still haven't replaced it) The only issue i ran into was that my scale would turn off as i was slowly adding so that i could get to a precise measurement. I don't think it thew me off too much.

It was a perfect day to mix the lye outside -- a balmy 20 degrees and a little breezy. I just left it outside in a safe spot to cool. At the same time i had my oils cooling inside and had transferred them from the pot to the glass measuring cup i would use for mixing.

When it came time to combine it seemed to take a few minutes to come to a medium trace. At that point i added my FO and blended/stirred a little more. I could have probably mixed it a little further but ended up pouring at a medium trace. I sprayed with 91% Etoh - That is the highest i could find at my local pharmacy. I know 99% is usually recommended. It did come in a good spray bottle so that was a plus not to have to buy a separate container for that.

I bundled up my mold with a towel in a cardboard box. This was around 1pm. I couldn't help it so i did check on it before bed. It seemed to be hardening!!

We shall see what today brings when i go to unmold and cut.

I thought that i got a small lye burn when pulling off my gloves, but i think it was just a little cut but it burned when i washed my hands.

All in all i think that this is a hobby that i can totally get into. I think because i was being so careful it took about an hour and 15 min to get it all together, poured and cleaned up. It is tough to get into a hobby that take a lot of time when you work full time and have kids to consume your other free time.

I can't wait to see what i can try next!

Okay here are the Pics -- Certainly nothing to write home about but i think a successful first batch! It smells great now with the coconut lime FO, but not sure how long that will last. I only made a 1# batch so it is rather thin. I marked my date it can be used, put in in a shallow open box and now we just wait.

upload_2019-1-15_9-31-56.png
upload_2019-1-15_9-31-40.png

Looks great! It sounds like you ticked all the boxes for a successful first soaping experience!!

I sprayed with 91% Etoh - That is the highest i could find at my local pharmacy. I know 99% is usually recommended. ...

Don't worry, commercial Ethanol EtOH, can't be more than 95%, and anyway 91% is more than ok for this purpose

Congratulations on your first batch. Looks good. I use 91% alcohol and it works fine. Just an FYI.....please don't mix your soap in glass. Plastic with a 5 or 2 in the little triangle on the bottom or stainless steel would work. Glass can etch and over time may break/shatter due to the lye.

FYI.....please don't mix your soap in glass
That's what i get for watching the soap queen videos-- I see her mixing all her batches in a larger pyrex measuring cup.

Question for the group - how do i know if my soap went through gel phase? Looking at my final product I have no clue.

That's what i get for watching the soap queen videos-- I see her mixing all her batches in a larger pyrex measuring cup.

Question for the group - how do i know if my soap went through gel phase? Looking at my final product I have no clue.
You wrapped it so it kept the saponification heat in long enough to reach gel and it looks great.
If it didn’t go through gel phase there would probably be a partial gel ring in the centre (since you wrapped it to encourage gel).

I think I’d stand them on their rise if possible for better air flow.

Last edited:

Stainless steel is great for mixing lye, so is plastic with a recycle code of 5 on the bottom. I don't trust anything that comes out of soapqueens mouth, she is a business person and most everything she says is just to make money. If she was serious about making soap, she would know better then to use glass.

Your soap appears to have gelled. Often gelled soap has a slightly transparent or waxy look to it while ungelled will look more creamy/opaque. Your soap does not have to gel to be good soap, I rarely gel mine.

I'm a huge Soap Queen fan!! I've learned a great deal from her and will recommend her to one and all.
I like her too but I also realize that she is the face of a business whose purpose is to make money. She pushes products and promotes qualities that may or may not be accurate. Informative - yes. Selfless and creates videos solely to enlighten, educate, and inform - not so much.

Those look great! I bet they smell wonderful as well.
Mmm, coconut lime- makes me want to be on a beach somewhere--especially this time of year!

Janelle

Congratulations! I LOVE first soap pics!

Re: gel phase:;
here are some good pictures:

If you are really curious about the difference, try making a batch and putting some of it in a log mold to gel, and some into individual molds. Then you'll be able to really see and feel the difference. Ungelled will be softer longer.

Latest posts

Back