Made my first soap ever today!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSdude

Reaction score
So I made my first ever soap toady and I decided to do a cp soap.

I made 2 batches left the soap unscented and stuck with a fairly basic recipe. I wanted to see one how they turn out and two how they perform before I start using EO/FO.

I left both of them uncovered and sprayed some IP alcohol on the top to help with soap ash?

They both went into silicone loaf molds that I found at Kmart for $5.

So the first recipe is as follows

PO 50%
OO 25%
CO 76deg 20%
Castor O 5%
Water 228gm
Lye 84.2gm
Superfat 5%

Left everything else untouched in soapcalc except for fragrance was set to 0

0UyCGzv.jpg

I upped the amounts for the 2nd batch as the first one didn't fill the mold and i wanted to see how much the mold can take.
Second batch was

PO 25%
OO 30%
CO 76deg 25%
Sweet AO 15%
SB 5%
water 326.8
Lye 121.4
Superfat 5%

Left everything else untouched in soapcalc except for fragrance was set to 0

I also got a little creative with the pattern on top lol

wuvxHsw.jpg

Both the pics were taken about 2 hours after molding.

Looks like they are gelling? Not too sure

Any feedback on the pics would be appreciated.

I'll keep updating with new pics as I keep an eye on my soap.

Anyhow weather they turn out ok or not just glad to have got a couple of batches under my belt :)

I zap test the soap after the cure time right?

Last edited:
Recipes look great, do does the soap. Congrats on your first batches.

Yes, they are going into gel in the pics. If you can cover the molds with cardboard then wrap them in towels, it will help the soap gel all the way to the corners.

You can zap test 2 or 3 days after cutting but I usually wait a week or so. No rush and if soap doesn't gel, it can take a few days for saponification to complete.

Thanks for the vote of confidence I really appreciate it. It's encouranging when seasoned soapers chime in with posotive remarks :)

They feel cooled down now so I'm wondering if I just let these batch's go as is without covering and make the next batches coverd and wraped in towles

Since your soaps want to gel without any help, I would try insulting to get a full gel. It's purely cosmetic, and partial gel can give a cool effect. Regardless, you will love these, your first soaps.

I wonder why I always feel like such a proud mother hen when a new soaper posts their first batch. They look beautiful, LSdude! Thank you for sharing! You are well on your way! Congratulations!

Aww thanks jewles :)

So I unmolded today and in hindsight maybe should have left it another day in the mold. You can see in one of the pics there are spots where the soap gathered while cutting.

I'm using a two tier shoe rack for curing here are some pics.

eCGNEmF.jpg

Ybr0kT2.jpg

NqcxYAN.jpg

So now the long wait I wanted to use a bar today but I guess that's how it goes. I'm going to give these soaps 6 weeks before I give them a shot in the shower.

I'm already planning my next batchs of soap.

Next 2 batches I want to do Castille bar soap. I'm going to cure them for at least 6 to 12 months & also 2 batches of salt bars & and a batch of shaving soap from the super long thread thats here.(I've got a very big family)

Can anyone suggest a nice EO to go into the Castille? Something that can last the distance. I have three nephews thats why I'm doing the Castille nice and mild for their skin. I'm thinking the one for the kids will be unscented??? What are your thoughts?

Oh, look at the little soap babies! Nice job. You know you *can* cut a little piece off of one of the bars and play with it in the sink (I wouldn't do the shower). Just remember that they will change after they have a chance to grow up a bit. If the rack you are curing your soaps on has wood slats, you might want to put paper towels or some kind of cloth under them. Plastic canvas from the craft store (like for embroidery) also works well.

EOs that last a year. I'd say lemongrass would be your best bet. And patchouli if you like it. Lemongrass isn't my favorite by itself, but I do like it blended with cedar or mint, both of which stick pretty well. Patchouli with 10x orange is one of my favorites.

Can anyone suggest a nice EO to go into the Castille? Something that can last the distance. I have three nephews thats why I'm doing the Castille nice and mild for their skin. I'm thinking the one for the kids will be unscented??? What are your thoughts?

If anyone has skin problems (like eczema etc) you are best to give them unscented soap. My DH (he has eczema) can't use FOs or EOs if his skin is flaring up. I can't use EOs.

Great thing is about pure Castile that cures for years is that you don't have to worry about the scent fading. :)

Congratulations! I remember my first batch of soap quite fondly, even though I make better soap now.

If that rack is made out of anything but plastic, I would be sure to put some freezer or parchment paper under those bars.

Ok put the parchment paper down also did a zap test today on both batches. No zap awesome!

Time for salt bars ***rubs hands together****

Latest posts

Back