Made my first body butter and...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kniquy

Reaction score
so I have been interested in making coordinating body butter to go with soaps. I made my first batch this weekend. I used Shea and cocoa butter, coconut oil and apricot kernel oil. I scented with lavender and gardenia essential oils. I made so much that I brought some to work and my husband (works with mostly women) brought some to his work too and oh my goodness people love it! I’m being asked to make it, people want to buy it. I wasn’t really planning on selling but if it is that popular I might have found a little niche.

I have a few questions:

So any thoughts on what to charge? I roughly figured out for a 4oz container it would likely cost about $1.20 in supplies. I am not really making a business or living on this but a little extra is nice. I’m thinking $4-5 per 4oz container.

Do I need to add a preservative? It does not contain water but certainly could come into contact with water during use.

Is it better to only use essential oils or can certain fragrance oils be ok? Anything in particular I should look for in a safer FO to use?

Not sure where you came up with your cost, but 4oz jars can easily cost a dollar, then you need to print labels, seal and package. Four to Five dollars will end up losing money. I will be naughty and mention, it is not a niche market. Most soapmakers make body butters and they are difficult in the summer due to melting. I am probably one of few that do not make whipped type butters. They are just too oily for my liking.

I am curious where you purchase Gardenia Essential Oil, especially at an affordable cost. Anhydrous (all oil) products do not need preserving.

I make whipped body butter and I do use Phenonip as a preservative (it's recommended for anhydrous products). I prefer to use a preservative because my pregnant girls (all 3 of them:)) use it after a bath/shower on their expanding bellies. I'd rather be safe than sorry! I also add tapioca starch to cut down on the greasy feeling a bit.

I make and sell body butters. At $4-5/jar you will definitely be losing money. The jars I use are approx $1-2/jar, depending if I can get them on sale. Then the tamper proof seals, labels, printer ink and your time to make your product. I also use a preservative in products I sell because you never know when someone will scoop some out with wet fingers or use in the shower, etc. :)

Back