Made My First Batch!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLSJR

Reaction score
Yesterday I made my first batch of CP soap. I live in the desert but I didn't want to use dangerous chemicals around the dog or others in the house so I decided to make it outside. BIG mistake. It took the lye solution FOREVER to cool down because it was so hot outside. The table where I was mixing was lower to the ground so I had to bend over, causing sweat to build up INSIDE my glasses so the only eye I could see anything out of is the eye that's technically blind... so that was fun. I read that the FO would accelerate trace, and so made sure to use it after emulsion but before light trace.

First I poured small amounts of batter into two other containers. Used TD to whiten the main batter and then colored the two smaller portions in different colors of pink. THEN I added my FO and blended it to incorporate. Poured the two smaller batters into the main for a in the pot swirl and it started ricing as I poured it into the mold. So I dumped it back into the bowl and thought maybe I just didn't get it close enough to trace. I stick blended the heck out of it but it just got worse and worse. Gave up after the blender was too hot to hold. Sat there for about half an hour trying to figure out the best way to dispose of the failed soap and decided to try one last time. And after a rigorous mixing with a wire whisk it actually held together! I was so happy! It's not pretty, and I'm sure after I cut it open it'll not look great. But I still consider this a win lol.

The oil on top is from a mica drizzle.... I drizzled a little too much and I'm not sure if it'll absorb back into the loaf but the loaf set overnight and no longer jiggles, so I very well may actually have soap!

So here are my lessons:

1. If it is over 100 degrees F, do NOT soap outside. Besides not being able to see out of my sweat filled goggles, nobody wants to use soap infused with your sweat 😅
2. ALWAYS double check the FO. I saw that it accelerates trace. I did NOT see that the supplier did not suggest for CP use
3. Sometimes stepping back from the situation and giving yourself time to think about your next step is the best thing you can do!

We'll find out in a day or two when the soap is cut if it's any good. But all in all, I think I managed to turn the disaster around and learned a few lessons to apply to my next batch :)

Attachments

• 113648936_311664069914399_2053393688399919496_n.jpg
    113648936_311664069914399_2053393688399919496_n.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 55
Good job! I've only been making soap a few months now and the first time I accidentally did HP method and got into a panic but managed to save it!! Don't forget to show us the cut!

Nice save!
As far as fumes go, I freeze my liquid into cubes, and use those cubes for 60-85% of the weight for the lye solution. It doesn't warm up as much, which means less steam and therefore less fumes. Plus, you won't need to wait as long for your solution to cool down. You will have to stir it to make sure the lye dissolves, of course. And don't do 100% ice, or the sodium hydroxide may form a rock hard crust on the bottom of your container and not dissolve even if you chip it up.
I'm fortunate to be able to contain the pets in another room, and the knowledge that I'm playing with chemical fire keeps everyone else away while I work. However, I know a lot of people aren't comfortable soaping indoors, and everyone should take whatever precautions they feel are necessary to stay safe.

Congratulations on sticking with it! I understand the pet issue, I mix my lye in the garage (any place away from my little disaster tornados) using 50% ice for the liquid and soap in the house at the dining room table making sure that the lid is always on my lye container if it is in the house unless I'm pouring it then put the lid on the empty container when I'm finished. So far that method has worked and makes it possible to soap indoors with the mess monsters.
I'm looking forward to seeing your end result :)

Congratulations!

Sodium Hydroxide is only dangerous if you don’t respect it. Wear gloves, long sleeve, shoes and eye protection. You can mitigate the fumes by freezing your Distilled Water into cubes and/or refrigerating it. When I first started soaping, I would make my lye solution the night before in the garage and then cover when it cooled down. I now master batch my lye solution by the gallon so it is ready when I am.

Stick Blenders are not meant to be run for more than a few minutes at a time. If you watch soap making videos, you will see that the maker alternates between stick blending and then using the stick blender to stir. When making small batches, short bursts are best.

If the FO is not recommended for soap, then you’ll probably want to toss the soap.

Agree with #3. And instead of looking at a soap as a ‘failure’ if it doesn’t turn out, see it instead as an opportunity to learn.

That’s an ambitious first batch with three colors! Good job being so well informed and prepared. It’s inevitable there’ll be some learning opportunities! Can’t wait to see the cut!

Keep in mind the more you carry your lye solution around the more chance of an accidental spill. I also find it much safer to soap next to a sink in case of a spill or splash so I can quickly get to the water. Also, lye fumes only last a few seconds, so just keeping your face away from the container usually keeps the fumes away. When I first started soaping I would mix my lye outside on my deck until I trip once carrying it inside, so that ended mixing lye outside. I now always mix my lye solution in the sink even when I masterbatch, so any accidents go down the sink and water is available to wash it away.

Here's the cut. I used lemon cupcake mica from Mad Micas. I did half plain and half lightened with TD... I'm not sure if the dark spots are glycerin rivers or just from the darker soap.... but I really like it and couldn't be happier with the results (Cut it sooner than I should have, but I couldn't stop thinking about it so I cut it anyway since it's just a test loaf anyway lol)
1E9087AA-34CF-4469-9703-71C06757B051.jpeg

Here's a better photo showing the top
View attachment 48235
Ah of course, the Mica drizzle! 😍 From the first picture it looked like a dusting of cinnamon. Cinnamon is an irritant which would hurt your skin, but I've seen videos of people putting it in melt and pour as a cute craft, and I was slightly concerned your beautiful new loaf had fallen victim to that trend. The bars look lovely!

I made my first batch yesterdayBasic oils no colour no scent. I think you were a bit ambitious for your first try😝
But it looks like it paid off and you made a nice looking soap.

Yesterday I made my first batch of CP soap. I live in the desert but I didn't want to use dangerous chemicals around the dog or others in the house so I decided to make it outside. BIG mistake. It took the lye solution FOREVER to cool down because it was so hot outside. The table where I was mixing was lower to the ground so I had to bend over, causing sweat to build up INSIDE my glasses so the only eye I could see anything out of is the eye that's technically blind... so that was fun. I read that the FO would accelerate trace, and so made sure to use it after emulsion but before light trace.

First I poured small amounts of batter into two other containers. Used TD to whiten the main batter and then colored the two smaller portions in different colors of pink. THEN I added my FO and blended it to incorporate. Poured the two smaller batters into the main for a in the pot swirl and it started ricing as I poured it into the mold. So I dumped it back into the bowl and thought maybe I just didn't get it close enough to trace. I stick blended the heck out of it but it just got worse and worse. Gave up after the blender was too hot to hold. Sat there for about half an hour trying to figure out the best way to dispose of the failed soap and decided to try one last time. And after a rigorous mixing with a wire whisk it actually held together! I was so happy! It's not pretty, and I'm sure after I cut it open it'll not look great. But I still consider this a win lol.

The oil on top is from a mica drizzle.... I drizzled a little too much and I'm not sure if it'll absorb back into the loaf but the loaf set overnight and no longer jiggles, so I very well may actually have soap!

So here are my lessons:

1. If it is over 100 degrees F, do NOT soap outside. Besides not being able to see out of my sweat filled goggles, nobody wants to use soap infused with your sweat 😅
2. ALWAYS double check the FO. I saw that it accelerates trace. I did NOT see that the supplier did not suggest for CP use
3. Sometimes stepping back from the situation and giving yourself time to think about your next step is the best thing you can do!

We'll find out in a day or two when the soap is cut if it's any good. But all in all, I think I managed to turn the disaster around and learned a few lessons to apply to my next batch :)

You did so AWESOME! I really like what you did :D.

Back