Made my first baby soap on thursday

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skayc1

Reaction score
Instead of using the buttermilk that has cultures, I used the powder, I also added heavy cream & baby carrot puree, I added these after mixing in the lye water with the oils. my olive oil was at 75% so it took awhile to get to trace (I gave up at light trace & let it sit and get thicker.) I then let it gel...boy did it gel! at one point it looked dark rusty orange half on top...then it finished...I think It will have a dark orange transparent look...was I supposed to prevent it from gelling? my next batch should I put it in the freezer? I'm waiting till tuesday to unmold the baby soap, & will get pictures later.

I would have put it the freezer with that much milk. The carrot puree will also add in some orange. As a side not I never use handmade soap on babies. They just do not need it on their skin. A nice m&p soap can be much milder and sting not the eyes as bad as our handmade soaps.

I too don't recommend using soap on babies. I tell them to wait till they actually are old enough to get dirty . 1 1/2- 2. I worry about their sensitive skin and higher ph. That's of course my thoughts.

I would definitely put it in the freezer if you make it again. That being said, if I knew then what I know now I would never have used any soap on my son as a baby. Lukewarm water and a soft washcloth is enough, maybe a tiny dab of cleanser for the diaper area if absolutely necessary.

I have had people at my farmers market ask if I have a soap for babies and I tell them no. I do have a recipe for kids that is mild enough for my son (who has eczema) but I would never use even my own soap for a baby. Their skin is so delicate and sensitive.

I did not create this post to be lectured about people using baby soap on their babies...that's not for me to decide as i have no children of my own. I was wanting advice on the type of soap called 'Baby Soap' that uses buttermilk & Carrot Puree'. which is supposed to be a nutritious gentle soap. I know there are alot of soapers making this soap.

I did not create this post to be lectured about people using baby soap on their babies...that's not for me to decide as i have no children of my own. I was wanting advice on the type of soap called 'Baby Soap' that uses buttermilk & Carrot Puree'. which is supposed to be a nutritious gentle soap. I know there are alot of soapers making this soap.

We feel like you should not ask this advice, CP soap is not good for babies and animals. That's a proofen Fact!!
It seems your answer is a bit on rude side..........:sad:

We feel like you should not ask this advice, CP soap is not good for babies and animals. That's a proofen Fact!!
It seems your answer is a bit on rude side..........:sad:
how was it rude for me to ask for advice on a soap making forum for the making of soap? Just because it's not a soap you choose to make? this is a soap making forum correct? not a how to care for your baby forum? if you choose not to make this type of soap please do not reply, This question was directed at those making this type of soap.

I think I made the recipe you're referring to a long time ago. Is it the Brambleberry buttermilk Bastille baby soap? Anyway, yes, usually you'd want to refrigerate a soap made with milk and purée because those ingredients can cause soap to overheat because of the sugar content. Your soap went into gel phase because of the heat and will most likely be fine and lighter once it cools.

I modified a recipe I found online, the OO is 75%..it is slightly different than BB's similar though. Thanks, I'll post pics of it later, I won't try unmolding it until tuesday, the top has lightened, although parts show some transparency, this was my first time using buttermilk powder & carrot puree. I also used coconut oil & castor oil.

Did you dissolve the buttermilk powder in some water before adding it? If not, I'm wondering if some of the powder stayed in clumps and that's why you're having some color difference. Just thinking out loud.

I dissolved it in the heavy cream & carrot puree that I used, then refrigerated it over night. The water I added the lye to without the milk & let it cool down, trying to avoid burnt buttermilk.

This is what the soap looks like at the moment. I'll wait till tuesday to unmold them.
temporary_14.jpg

People will give the best answer they can - if you ask on a cigar forum "what cigar size would be best for my 3 year old to smoke?" I don't anyone would actually answer your question, rather they would point out that cigars aren't for kids (tricks are, however).

If I ask here "I made a soap for sensitive skin - 100% co at 1% sf. Should I get it or not?" I would get very few answers about the gelling and a lot about how my soap is actually terrible for sensitive skin.

Bottom line - you won't always hear what you want to hear. If people with a lot of experience think you're doing something unwise, they will tell you so. If you don't like that.........sorry, not sorry.

People will give the best answer they can - if you ask on a cigar forum "what cigar size would be best for my 3 year old to smoke?" I don't anyone would actually answer your question, rather they would point out that cigars aren't for kids (tricks are, however).
funny thing is I never said I was making it for babies...this type of soap simply has that name, is supposed to be a gentle type of soap. I'm finding out even moderators attack people on this site. Did anyone ask me 'who is this for? NO! they assumed. so if I had left the word baby off & simply said I was making a Bastille soap with carrot puree & buttermilk would you have attacked me? so sad that this group is unfriendly to beginner soap makers, I'm only saying this because 2 moderators joined in on the attack.

Skayc, I hope you don't think I am joining in on an attack, I am not (and I don't think it was an attack, just a misunderstanding). Here are my thoughts. I too thought that you were making a soap that you are giving/selling as a soap for babies, because of the name. I also thought "not a good idea, babies don't need soap." The people that did opine are some of the most experienced soapmakers on the board, they do often chip in to stop people from making mistakes, expecially when they are new.

The reason it is a good idea to take that advice in the spirit in which it is meant is that (a) they really are not trying to lecture, they have nothing to prove b/c their "creds" are unimpeachable here and (b) there will probably come a point in time when you need information that they might be the only ones to have. Shunt and Carolyn probably have a couple of decades of soaping experience between the two of them, you don't want to have some weird problem, post it, and have them look at it and think "hm, that was that newb that didn't want to hear my advice, hope someone else is willing to help."

I think you should think about this a bit, say your mea culpas, and keep posting. This is the best place to get advice on soapmaking on the net, you don't want to leave it based on a misunderstanding.

Last edited:
It's not really a type of soap "baby soap", but this is a recipe that was touted as being specifically for babies, as is clear from the website where the recipe comes from.

There are many things that are generally considered red lines by most people here - soap for babies is one of them, as is using vinegar on your skin in case of a lye spill. The reaction to post with a wrong idea on these sorts of topics will be a strong one and for the right reason.

If you never intended this soap to be used on babies and would refuse to give it to people (as you are such a beginner that you want to be handled in a special way, you must be a long way from even thinking about selling, correct?) who would use it on babies, then you could have just said that in response to the first posts instead of responding in a combative manner.

Beginner, experienced soaper or anywhere in between - rudeness is rudeness

I don't usually comment on these types of discussions but in this case, I feel that I should.

No one was attacking you personally. They offer up additional advice when they feel the post warrants it. I realize that you didn't say this was specifically for a baby however, with the word baby in the soap, it is a good assumption that it will be used on babies.

If all that was ever offered on this forum (or any other) was advice on the specific topic (soap, cigars, shaving, ect), the forum would never last. This forum has lasted because it is a community. Its not a bunch of people who get paid to give advice. Those who have advice to give come for something other than learning- they come for camaraderie. I know that's why I came. The additional wealth of advice is a perk to me.

They never once told you, you had to follow their advice. I actually think this was their way of extending a hand to more than just telling you what you might want to fix in your recipe and more about widening the scope of what this forum can be about.

I think you may want to look at the advice you were given as just that, advice, no more no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back