Made my first baby soap on thursday

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to throw in there, if selling a soap called baby soap, people will probably think it's suited for babies. Many infants and small toddlers even have a milk allergy. It's to the casein sp? protein found in dairy. If severe it could potentially cause a rash from topically touching the skin. Now I am no expert on what happens to these proteins when they hit the lye monster, but it is something worth noting.

If u are allergic to milk protein, you definitely get a rash from topically applying milk products. I am allergic to whey and didn't realise this reaction would occur. I bathed in cows milk bath salts and boy did I regret it. I also can't use bar soap with cows milk in as I made some of that at the same time as the bath salts with the same powder. Out of interest I washed my hands with the bar soap and still got itching even after saponification so cows milk cosmetics are definitely a no no for me.

Last edited:
i still feel like i was attacked, even after basically saying the soap was not made for a baby. I might not ever ask for anymore help on this site, being afraid to be attacked.. I posted this in the beginner forum because I have only been soaping since april, I am nowhere near selling. I should have known better to ask for advise, I've seen these same group of people attack other noobies, some who never replied afterward & might have left this community.
i have no children of my own. I was wanting advice on the type of soap called 'Baby Soap' that uses buttermilk & Carrot Puree'. which is supposed to be a nutritious gentle soap.

So one advise from you guys I will take is to not use the word 'Baby' in this soap, that does not mean I will not make this soap. On another issue alot of people have allergies- that is what the ingredient labels are for, all my soaps have cows milk in them. I will have that listed, my mother is allergic to mangoes, so I do not use mango butter, to each their own.
If u are allergic to milk protein, .

Again, nobody attacked you even when you became rude. And your quoted post above was posted after we gave our suggestions. Perhaps if you were clear in the beginning you wouldn't have been offended by answers. Besides, just because you don't have children doesn't mean you weren't going to give it to someone with a child. We give advice and it's totally up to you if you choose to take it or move on. Maybe this isn't the place for you. However, you won't find many groups as helpful, kind and patient as this one. Totally up to you.

I'm sorry that you cried, however, you have to realize that towards the beginning of the post no one was trying to do anything but offer helpful advice. If you were hurt by someones post please understand that not all of us here are native Englishspeakers and may not know the correct syntax or wording to make something sound nicer.

After you began to be combative is when other people began to step in and try to let you know why you may have gotten the advice that you did. Still, you were not accepting. You may want to re-think how to approach internet communities as something is lost over the internet that would be able to be conveyed in face to face conversation.

I know it sucks when you don't get the response you want. I've been there. Whats so valuable about this place is that people will help you once they give you the truth, blunt as it may be.

I will tell you that selling (it seems that you plan to in the future) will be much more scrutinizing than this forum will ever be. And you can get a lot more than just your feelings hurt out there too. I'm not belittling the way you feel only letting you know that everything said here came with a genuine want to help.

Last edited:
You *really* need to read through this thread, think about it, and decide how you want to proceed. Shunt is right, this *is* the kindler, gentler board, at least when it comes to having an active, helpful community.

The boards: Dish. Very active and helpful, but if you think it is tough here, do not venture over there. They have a whole vocabulary for newbies who displease them, it is not pretty. By now someone would have researched your name, if you actually sell, where, how long you have been soaping, on and on. They describe us as being wimps when it comes to newbie treatment, I believe the term "farting rainbows" has come up w/r/t to what they see as our kid-glove treatment :)

Craftserver: Gentle to newbies but not v. active, mostly candles. V. few posts on soaping.

Teach soap: extremely gentle to newbies but almost no activity. Pretty much a BB touting site.

If you need a place to come and yak about soap, get great advice, find lots of posts, this really is it. Again, I am going to urge you to re-read with an objective eye, critically think about the thread, apologize, and move on.

Mod edit - "goodbye" posts are against the site rules. They state "if you want to go, just go" - TEG

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thought, just because B&B posted a similar recipe and called it a baby bastile soap, it does not make it a safe baby soap. They are trying to sell supplies. I can also say when and if you ever sell or give away if a person sees the name "Baby" the will take it as baby soap. No one here is mean in fact this is one of the friendliest soapmaking forums around with a wealth of info. In this business it sometimes takes a tough skin to survive. I could send you to another forum, which may be the first one around and trust me they can shed you. But again there is a wealth of info that cannot be found in many places. Whether you leave or stay is up to you, but by leaving you will miss a lot of good information. I have been making soap several years and have still learned. Face Book soap sites can have awful info. Just a little FYI. I have had people come to my booth complaining about a soap they bought for specific body regions telling me it burnt them. (not my soap, I do not sell such). They were told handmade soap is good for all and will not hurt. Wrong info

I see I'm a bit later here but I have to chime in. I love this forum and the people here but I have seen some get a bit overbearing when sharing their opinions. While I don't think anyone was attacked per say, I do see why to OP felt like that.

It only take one person to mention that soap is not good for babies, no need for more to jump on the bandwagon. Thats what makes it feel like a attack. If you have a strong opinion on something, mention it move on. Better yet, keep your opinion to yourself.
Unless its something that could be dangerous, like lye and vinegar, I see no reason to to share controversial opinions unless you are asked for it.

I personally see no issue with using soap on babies, people have been doing it for decades with no harm. I also don't agree with the "babies only need washed with water" thinking. Babies get nasty, they sweat and get poo/spit up on them. Its gross not to use some form of cleaner on them. Of course this is my opinion, one I wouldn't normally mention on here because I know I will get jumped on for it.

I have the same issues with people who get jumped on for wanting to sell too soon. I say let them make crappy soap and fail with selling. That will teach them better then anything you say on here can.

Bottom line is, maybe its time to temper your passion for soap making with a bit of understanding for newbies who may be making mistakes or doing things you don't agree with.

How do I delete this thread? I was about to leave this group, my niece knocking on my door saved me (actually she spoke to me from outside my window, kinda startled me, she knows I'm hard of hearing. I'll stay, but can someone delete this thread?

You'll have to PM a mod and ask for it to be deleted. I came back here because I completely forgot to answer your question. I have a ton of trouble using carrot juice in soap, it always overheats, add in the milk and I would probably have a disaster.

Yours looks fine, just gelled. I would definitely pop it in the freezer next time though.

I see I'm a bit later here but I have to chime in. I love this forum and the people here but I have seen some get a bit overbearing when sharing their opinions. While I don't think anyone was attacked per say, I do see why to OP felt like that........

.....Bottom line is, maybe its time to temper your passion for soap making with a bit of understanding for newbies who may be making mistakes or doing things you don't agree with.

But then where is the line drawn? If someone says they will make a 100% co soap with a 1% sf, would it be wrong to say it would be a terrible soap? Using a Castile within one week of making it, can people say it would be best cured? At what point is it okay to offer advice, on which topics?

Advice like "don't sell too soon" might actually be new information for some newbies, that they hadn't actually considered. Then, when its pointed out to them, makes sense and they learn to soap before selling. If no one suggest it, they might actually fail totally when they could have waited a while and succeeded, just because it wasn't pointed out to them that they were taking on something bigger than they could see.

I agree, though - it can seem like people pile on - but if just one person posted and everyone thinks "it has been said, I don't need to say it" then it can seem like only 1 person thinks it rather than a lot of people thinking it. I don't think much can be done about that, though.

You are right Effy, I think its the piling on that I see happening that can be so hurtful to newbies. They come here all kinds of excited then get shot down, it really makes you feel like a piece of crap when that happens.

I had it happen to me. My first post was about a recipe I found in a book, measured by volume and not weight. Everyone jumped on me, made me feel stupid and unwanted on here. I think that at times people forget what it feels like to be a newbie and how hurtful it can feel when everyone is telling us we are wrong.

Yeah maybe is better to delete it, and all forgotten. SkayC1 I am also hard of hearing and I do understand how difficult life is. Hearing aids help only a bit. It can cause a lot of frustration because we communicate in writing. I promise you there is not better board than this one. You probably noticed my English is as fluent as yours and still , I had never been attacked here, or insulted, on the contrary, I am treated with respect, and I learn everyday something new:))
I am on Dish and I made a Zero posts 00, it is pretty unforgiving board:( This one is awesome, so give yourself a chance to meet all that cool people;)

Obsidian, none of us were trying to be mean or controversial. I had a kneejerk reaction of "oh no, don't use that on babies" due to a misunderstanding. Most of the posts are trying to make her feel better and encourage her to stay.

I'm going to step on my soapbox for a quick second to say that people have different life experiences that they bring to forums. Of course those different experiences are going to lend themselves to the advice given. You have no issue with using soap on babies but you also probably have not had to watch your infant/toddler/young child suffer the effects of eczema. I have and it is horrible. I've watched my child literally scratch himself bloody and I know that the baby products I used on him made it worse. I really do wish I knew then what I know now but no one in my family had ever had a child with eczema so it was new territory for us. If someone had given me the advice that I gave to skayc then maybe it would have given me food for thought.

I want to be clear that I am not jumping on you. I respect the opinion of everyone on this forum even if I don't always agree with them. We can't make informed decisions if we don't have all the necessary information. People used to smoke around babies all the time because they didn't understand the harm they were doing. When you know better you do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back