Made a Turmeric Soap. Will it stain?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guywithsoap?

Reaction score
I made a olive oil soap and used turmeric powder at trace.

It turned a nice dark red/orange- sunset color.

Now, a few days later it is a medium salmon.

Will turmeric soap stain? If not why not. When I cook with the spice it stains my white plates, bowls, etc...

Thanks

I deleted your double post. You should be able to delete your own posts as long as no one has yet replied. Look for the x in the upper right hand corner of your post.

I can't answer your question. I've only used a small amount of turmeric to add light colored orangy swirls in batches. I hope someone can answer this for you.

I have made turmeric soap and it turned a nice deep orange. I can't remember how much I used, unfortunately. It didn't stain.

Oil soluble colors don't stain much in soap.

You should know that turmeric will discolor under light.

I make a soap with a turmeric swirl that is a lovely dark orange brown. It does come off a little bit on a wash rag, but it doesn't stain.
That's using the wash rag, and then rinsing it.
I don't know what would happen if it were left on there but it's so faint in terms of what comes off, it's not been a problem with it in my case. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Is there a specific reason that turmeric will "fade" in sunlight.

I have noticed that it has gotten much lighter.

I made a cocoa powder soap and it also lightened a bit after a few days. It originally was a dark dark brown and faded to a very light "milk chocolate" color.

I don't know why they fade, but many natural colorants fade or change in CP soap when exposed to light. It's the nature of the beast, I suppose. Most of the time they don't stain, I assume because of the polar molecules in the soap that tend to grab on to things instead of deposit them (except for scum).

Sunlight causes all sorts of colors to fade: wall paint, clothes, etc.

Probably the energy from the light breaks down the pigment.

Latest posts

Back