Made a boo boo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godiva

Reaction score
I had measured and melted my oils couple days ago, and had my 50/50 solution all ready. Making a fragrance/color free batch of soap. Made the batch yesterday - everything went well. Today, as I'm getting ready to get the soap out of the mold, I realize that I did not add the additional liquids to my soap! (such an airhead sometimes). This is the first time that I have done this. Will I be able to use this soap as is, or can I at least rebatch it? I did cut it, and it is hard - had to really force the cut.

you added all the oil? and all the lye? but didn't add the last portion of liquid, the part that wasn't mixed into your 50/50 lye/water mix?

your batch probably traced quickly and will dry quickly, but should be fine. The water is 'mostly' a carrier for the lye. How much liquid was your batch missing?

Deda said:
you added all the oil? and all the lye? but didn't add the last portion of liquid, the part that wasn't mixed into your 50/50 lye/water mix?

your batch probably traced quickly and will dry quickly, but should be fine. The water is 'mostly' a carrier for the lye. How much liquid was your batch missing?

I did add all the oil and all the lye, it was just the last portion of the liquid. I don't discount usually, at least not on purpose. 11 oz of liquid was left out.

It did trace quick - and I was actually happy about that - little did I know!

I used the same recipe that I used for a 1 lb batch, that had turned out nice and white. This was a off white - kind of a beige tint. Can that be because of the water discount?

No it's not likely that less water would change the color of the soap - unless last time it didn't gel but this time, due to the higher concentration, it did gel. Gel can contribute to a darker color sometimes depending on your additives.

50% discount, now THAT's a discount. :lol: :lol: Should excelerate drying.

Digit

digit said:
50% discount, now THAT's a discount. :lol: :lol: Should excelerate drying.

Digit

No joke. I kept thinking to myself that I was missing something. But I couldn't think of what it was. Will have to see what happens in 4 weeks. It's already hard as heck.

Back