Mad Oils white mica

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone use it? How do you like it?

I ordered a large amount of it, expecting to find it to be a good replacement for td and reducing the acceleration td causes. My recipes are usually pretty white anyway, but for something like the Lily of the Valley fo, I wanted a pristine white.

I used over 2 tablespoons of Snow White in 40 oz oil (lard, tallow, co, castor) , and it did almost nothing. Threw in a tablespoon of Here Comes the Bride white....and saw no difference. I can't tell the cut Lily bars from my plain janes!

Any I using it wrong? Wish I could return them - that's 25 dollars I could have spent on other micas.

I have used both Mad Oils white mica and Nurture's white mica. If you want a pristine white, neither works. They will lend a slightly off white look but nothing like TD. I have found that soaking TD really well before using it in batter helps to decrease the trace issue, probably because it gets more saturated by other water/oil and doesn't take up water/oil from the batter. At least that's my guess.

I am also very heavy handed in general with mica use, so I don't think the issue is that you didn't use enough.

TD accelerates trace? Never heard of that. :-?

It can. Almost all the soapers you see on YouTube comment on it.

Sometimes it does for me - but then I always use my SB to disperse it in the batter and avoid it spotting - so that will also contribute to speeding trace.

I have never used a white mica - but the few I have looked at still that TD in them - so I figure I might as well go straight to the source as it were.

It can. Almost all the soapers you see on YouTube comment on it.

Sometimes it does for me - but then I always use my SB to disperse it in the batter and avoid it spotting - so that will also contribute to speeding trace.

I have never used a white mica - but the few I have looked at still that TD in them - so I figure I might as well go straight to the source as it were.

I have had TD speed things up as well - and I too always stick blend it in. So I will use white mica when I want time to work and want to whiten my batter. I think it works better when just stirring it in. It isn't a pure snow white, but am happy enough to get a slightly off white as I'm usually just trying to counteract yellow or green from the oils. I do use TD when I want a pure white.

Latest posts

Back