Mad Oils white mica

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

lenarenee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone use it? How do you like it?

I ordered a large amount of it, expecting to find it to be a good replacement for td and reducing the acceleration td causes. My recipes are usually pretty white anyway, but for something like the Lily of the Valley fo, I wanted a pristine white.

I used over 2 tablespoons of Snow White in 40 oz oil (lard, tallow, co, castor) , and it did almost nothing. Threw in a tablespoon of Here Comes the Bride white....and saw no difference. I can't tell the cut Lily bars from my plain janes!

Any I using it wrong? Wish I could return them - that's 25 dollars I could have spent on other micas.

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have used both Mad Oils white mica and Nurture's white mica. If you want a pristine white, neither works. They will lend a slightly off white look but nothing like TD. I have found that soaking TD really well before using it in batter helps to decrease the trace issue, probably because it gets more saturated by other water/oil and doesn't take up water/oil from the batter. At least that's my guess.

I am also very heavy handed in general with mica use, so I don't think the issue is that you didn't use enough.

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've found the same thing. I've used Nurture's as well and it didn't do anything to make it white. I use TD.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
TD accelerates trace? Never heard of that. :-?
It can. Almost all the soapers you see on YouTube comment on it.

Sometimes it does for me - but then I always use my SB to disperse it in the batter and avoid it spotting - so that will also contribute to speeding trace.

I have never used a white mica - but the few I have looked at still that TD in them - so I figure I might as well go straight to the source as it were.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can. Almost all the soapers you see on YouTube comment on it.

Sometimes it does for me - but then I always use my SB to disperse it in the batter and avoid it spotting - so that will also contribute to speeding trace.

I have never used a white mica - but the few I have looked at still that TD in them - so I figure I might as well go straight to the source as it were.
I have had TD speed things up as well - and I too always stick blend it in. So I will use white mica when I want time to work and want to whiten my batter. I think it works better when just stirring it in. It isn't a pure snow white, but am happy enough to get a slightly off white as I'm usually just trying to counteract yellow or green from the oils. I do use TD when I want a pure white.

Latest posts