Mad Oils Stopping Selling Small Sizes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am beyond bummed out. Mad Oils sent an email saying that they are expanding their mica and colorant lines. To make room, they will only be carrying fragrances in 25lb amounts except three times a year when they will sell them in 1lb sizes.

NOOOOOO!

Some of my absolute favorites come from MO, but the most I ever, ever, ever purchase is 4oz since I like to try a lot of new things and make small batches. Really, I normally buy micas from them as an afterthought when I'm restocking FOs. Sigh.

Here's their email text:

We have amazing news for 2017! Mad Oils was voted #1 in the country in 2016 for Best Supplier: Micas and Pigments by Modern Soapmaking Online Magazine. We’re proud of that, considering that we started as a fragrance company! We are excited to tell you we will be expanding our mica line and introducing new glitter and colorants, including Bath Bomb Colorants. This year we are going to blow your mind with new chroma... So, get ready because the train has already left the station!

What about those fragrances we adore? Easy kittens, they’re not going away completely. We will simply be offering them in a different way than we have been. We will no longer stock fragrances in-house. We will be offering them in our permanent catalog in 25 lb. sizes 365 days per year. Three times a year, during our MOFO (Mad Oils Fragrance Oils) Frenzy Events (which will be scheduled), we will offer all our fragrances in 16 oz sizes. These MOFO Events will be like Pre-Buys. This just means you will need to plan ahead to make sure you are never without those fragrances that you have grown to love.

As we expand our color catalog, we need to make room for our new inventory of colors. This means that ALL remaining sizes of FOs we have in stock must go…NOW.

Keep your eyes open for more detailed information about the new colors and the upcoming schedule of when they'll arrive and how the MOFO Frenzy Events will be run and scheduled. The first MOFO Frenzy Event will be on April 1st this year, so hurry and get what you think you'll need to sustain you until then! When the ones in stock are gone, they are gone until April 1st (unless you buy 25 lbs.).

We can’t tell you how excited we are about these changes. Our heads are spinning with the possibilities. We will be bringing you the highest quality colorants to enhance and stimulate your creativity, to delight and motivate you and to drive you WILD! We’re mad I tell you, mad about colors!

We love you! Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm.

Join us on this exciting journey, when, before your very eyes, Mad Oils becomes MAD MICAS !

I feel the same. Even though there are quite a few of their FOs I really like, the only one I think I will order 16 oz of is Snow Witch. I might pick up a couple of others while they are available in smaller quantities, but I'm like you - micas were an add on for me. Looks like I'll be searching out some replacements for the others.

I saw that as well. I'm wondering what Mad Oils is bringing on.

I just bought my first FO's from mad oils and I really like their Snow Witch. tried Spanish Fly last night and still have to decide how much I like it, but it worked super well in low water and that's a big asset. I haven't tried many other scents so looks like I may as well stop before I find something I love intensely.

I was fairly annoyed at this myself. I am okay with buying 16oz and can probably even plan for their MOFO events. However, I have to KNOW that I already love a fragrance to commit to that much. I'll be forced to become an MO distributor...buying 25lb of cult favorites to part out to interested forum members.
:headbanging:

Really disappointed, I just got my first FO order from them and was excited to try them out but I don't typically buy lb at a time, especially when I am not 100% sure I already love it.

I've been so happy with Nurture colors I will likely just stick with them now.

I got the email too and my first thought was 'gee I'm glad I'm not hooked on any of their FOs'. Second thought was they could really be shooting themselves in the foot and lose a lot of business from soapers that are just hobbyists. The FOs I'm willing to buy a whole pound of are few and far between. Hopefully Carrie will swoop in to fill the void (hint hint).

Darn- I have been hearing about Snow Witch and a few others I wanted to order. What a bummer !

I went and looked. A bunch are still available in small sizes. <3 But it is really frustrating when suppliers change stuff around. It hurts sometimes.

I saw that as well. I believe a number of their micas are the exact same as Nurture's line and Nurture is always cheaper when I've looked. I'm wondering what Mad Oils is bringing on.

I just bought my first FO's from mad oils and I really like their Snow Witch. tried Spanish Fly last night and still have to decide how much I like it, but it worked super well in low water and that's a big asset. I haven't tried many other scents so looks like I may as well stop before I find something I love intensely.

Maybe we can convince Carrie to pick up the best of the same MO FO's and sell them normally! ;)

Let me know what you want, and I'll make it happen! There's no way that most soapers can afford 25 pound sizes, or even 16 ounce sizes when available. We can bring on the smaller sizes of these fragrances year 'round if enough people want us to. :)

This is a bummer.

There are certain FO's that I really like from MO. I will usually order a 2-4 oz. to try and if I like it, will order 8 oz., but as a hobbyist huge quantities
are out of the question.
As others have stated, the colorants I order are usually add ons.
Perhaps MO is tired of catering to the hobby soap makers.
On the bright side, many of us who have been making soap "forever" did just fine before Mad Oils appeared on the scene.
Although I love their products and service, I think we will survive!

As a hobby soap maker it takes a long time to get through 16 ounces anything - especially since I seem to always have a LOT of 2-4 ounce bottles of FO for 'research'.

Carrie you are the best! Seriously, the best. Snow Witch is one of my all time favorites, as well as the absolute favorite of my son and several other people.
My other picks would be Arabian Nights, Vanilla Milk and maybe Elderflower.

As a hobby soap maker it takes a long time to get through 16 ounces anything - especially since I seem to always have a LOT of 2-4 ounce bottles of FO for 'research'.

Dibbles, our Winter Wonderland fragrance oil is identical to Snow Witch. ;)

Last edited:
YES! This is going to make a lot of folks very happy. I'm with dibbles on the Vanilla Milk and Elderflower plus the Thai Sticky Rice sounds nice. Thanks for looking out for us little guys, we really appreciate you Carrie :)

No!! I'm disappointed because I'd heard good things about Mad Oils and was looking forward to trying them. There's no point in trying to order even the smaller sizes of FOs to me because why try something that I know is a limited supply item? If I love it, then I'll have to try to find an equivalent elsewhere, which is annoying.

I've already tried Nurture's micas (thanks to their free shipping for a purchase over $40 for colorants!) and am really enjoying them so Mad Oils' increasing their mica line isn't going to draw me in as a new customer. It was certain FOs that I'd heard raves of MO for and was looking forward to trying them, not their micas. From my perspective this is a shoot-themselves-in-the-foot move, but maybe it's more money to not deal with hobbyists. There's another soap business that has moved away in recent years from selling lower quantity FOs and has gone to more teaching classes in their local area, I came across her page not long ago but am drawing a blank now. I'm a new soaper so every company name I come across is one to check out for potential, lol.

YES! This is going to make a lot of folks very happy. I'm with dibbles on the Vanilla Milk and Elderflower plus the Thai Sticky Rice sounds nice. Thanks for looking out for us little guys, we really appreciate you Carrie :)

Vanilla Milk is our Vanilla Cream. If someone would send me an ounce of Thai Sticky Rice I can have it duped and available in about a month. I've already been sent the Elderflower from another customer so we're good there. :)

The other one I know of is soapalooza. I'd never ordered from MO but had planned to try the snow witch based on reviews. I'm very happy to hear NS already has the same scent since I order there anyway. I've only purchased FO's from NS and NG other than one pre-buy that should be delivered today. I figure if I'm happy with a company, especially when its a small business, I'd rather just order from them and keep it simple if at all possible.

Good to know! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! When my (ample) supply of Snow Witch runs out I'll be ordering Winter Wonderland for sure :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I kind of get not wanting to deal with samples, 2 oz, 4 oz, 8 oz, 1 lb, etc....But I would think it would be advantageous to offer, say, 2 oz sizes and then 1 lb sizes.

Back