Mad Oils Stopping Selling Small Sizes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several on the list that I sell out of in my shop. Pink Grapefruit, Golden Embargo and Velvet Peppercorn I make multiple batches of and I sell out. Hedonic Tonic is one I'm surprised hasn't done very well. I happen to love it. Loo loo shampoo I was able to purchase then use before it left and it's very soft. If you remember Flowering Herbs from Bath & Body Works, it smells like that.

One I have curing right now is their Night Blooming Jasmine which smells intoxicating. But I'm not able to find it on their website.

Powder Puff Girls was very powdery and wasn't my favorite, but it seemed to do well.

Vanilla Milk is the best for perfumes and lotions, and one of my favorites, but in CP soap it was a dang mess. The cured fragrance was nothing like OOB.

ETA: Their Dragon's Blood is one of the best and I sell out of that one on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I also think 1 oz for testing is good. I think Soapmaker145's testing process is different than a lot of us, in that a lot of FO samples are ordered and tested, several to a small batch of soap. I will tend to order 1 or 2 ounces of a few FOs that sound interesting when I am ordering other supplies. Then I make a 1 lb or a regular sized batch to try it out. If I like it, I'll order a larger amount and if not, I can find someone to give it to.

I haven't tried too many of the MO fragrances, but FWIW I'll share my thoughts. I'm not huge into florals, but I really like Elderflower. It's a green, fresh floral - not too perfumy - and it behaved very well for me. It reminds me of Linden. Snow Witch and Vanilla Milk are two of my very favorites, and happily it seems you already have that covered. Arabian Nights and Velvet Peppercorn are both very nice, but I use both of them as blenders rather than stand alone FOs. I blended the Peppercorn with Anise EO and got a weird pink discoloration in my TD parts. The other blend I used it in was a light brown - I think from a moderately discoloring FO and I used a pretty small amount of Peppercorn in that blend. So I don't know if I had a fluke with the pink discoloration or if it would happen again. Two I've tried and wouldn't reorder are Spanish Fly and Golden Embargo. I think the Spanish Fly was just too powdery/musky for me and I am, I think, one of the rare people who just don't like heavy amber. A little amber in a blend is nice, but that one was just way to much for me. I also tried Lavender Chamomile - again nice, but not so different from others. I've been curious to try Deviant, Hedonic Tonic and Cucumber Lavender, but what I don't know I won't miss.

ETA: Soapmaker, I do appreciate your testing process, and have taken your advice on more than one occasion.

I'd like to say Amen to that too. Soapmaker has a very systematic, purposeful and detailed approach to everything she does. Then - there's the record-keeping! I know to always trust what she says because of it.

Now, let's talk about my systematic approach and record-keeping......*mumble mumble*...dagnabbit I have no idea what fo is in that pine green men's soap...oh wait, it was Nurture's Obsidian...oops, nope that's a full bottle right there. Oh! Must have been BB's Cedar and Saffr...nope wait...its full too....bad word, bad word....etc.

(Really need to find out what it was because its a big time fader fo.)

I have ordered a pound of Thai Sticky Rice so I can send some to Carrie. I'll have to order a bottle from Amazon or some place to send a sample in.

I can send you a bottle to send it in! Just let me know and thank you!

I actually test like soapmaker does. We test many fragrances at once, but my testers are just a bit bigger. I think I'd rather err on the side of caution with sample size. Too much is generally better than too little, especially since filling smaller samples is crazy time consuming and may actually end up costing more than the larger sample sizes.

Plus, if you want to test in more products like lotions having a bit more is also good.

Thank you for the fabulous feedback and comments!!! I want you to know that I truly appreciate it!

I found out this morning that our Olive Branch = Spanish Fly for those of you looking for it. :)

Do any australia suppliers stock any MO ? i would love to get some but shipping is 4 sometime 5 times the proce of the oil.

I haven't tried too many of the MO fragrances, but FWIW I'll share my thoughts. I'm not huge into florals, but I really like Elderflower. It's a green, fresh floral - not too perfumy - and it behaved very well for me. It reminds me of Linden. Snow Witch and Vanilla Milk are two of my very favorites, and happily it seems you already have that covered. Arabian Nights and Velvet Peppercorn are both very nice, but I use both of them as blenders rather than stand alone FOs. I blended the Peppercorn with Anise EO and got a weird pink discoloration in my TD parts. The other blend I used it in was a light brown - I think from a moderately discoloring FO and I used a pretty small amount of Peppercorn in that blend. So I don't know if I had a fluke with the pink discoloration or if it would happen again.

Elderflower and Velvet Peppercorn are two of my favorites for soaping! I use them both as single scents. Velvet Peppercorn is the closest FO I've found to ScentWorks' Acadian Homecoming scent - I don't get pepper so much as a woodsy, cypress kind of scent. And it does discolor to pinkish color during cure on its own or with TD. The included pic shows Elderflower on the top colored with MO Guava Lava mica, and Velvet Peppercorn below with MO Harold's Purple Crayon mica for the bottom part and for the pencil line. The top is uncolored and you can see it turning pink on the top/around the edges. This was just after it was cut...the entire top part turns a dusty pink during the cure.
Also Thai Sticky Rice smells just like the real thing OOB and in lotion! While I can't say it's a great seller for me, some people (myself included) adore it and get addicted :) Seems to be one of those "Love it or Hate it" kind of scents - on the "Love it" side are those of us who are amazed at the realistic scent (and I make a ton of sticky rice, so I KNOW that smell!!), while on the "Hate it" side are those who wonder why on earth anyone would want to smell like rice. :confused:
I'm glad someone offered to send a sample, since I only have 2 oz left....I've been watching this thread hoping I wouldn't have to surrender my last bit for the greater good!! Thank you!!!!

mad oils.JPG

Dibbles, I sent you a PM. Thank you.

Lenarenee, I'm not sure you want to see my records (head down in shame)! The scientist in me would be really embarrassed!!! If I didn't create Word and Excel documents for my FO tests and made myself enter the information before I poured the testers, I would have had a big mess. Had I known how deeply I was going down this rabbit hole, I would have created a database to better track it all. The amazing part is I can find all the soaps when I need them and I recognize all the scents that made it even ones that I didn't like but friends asked for. I'm so behind on writing reviews, it's hopeless:cry:.

The tubes are very easy to fill because they have a wide opening with no weighing necessary. That is what I use when I send samples out or make blends. Element B&B uses them for their samples.

However, I totally understand that the majority of people who don't buy a larger number of FOs at a time prefer a larger sample. I have my eyes on a number of your fragrances as soon as I make some room in my cupboard :).

Also Thai Sticky Rice smells just like the real thing OOB and in lotion! While I can't say it's a great seller for me, some people (myself included) adore it and get addicted :) Seems to be one of those "Love it or Hate it" kind of scents - on the "Love it" side are those of us who are amazed at the realistic scent (and I make a ton of sticky rice, so I KNOW that smell!!), while on the "Hate it" side are those who wonder why on earth anyone would want to smell like rice. :confused:
I'm glad someone offered to send a sample, since I only have 2 oz left....I've been watching this thread hoping I wouldn't have to surrender my last bit for the greater good!! Thank you!!!!

I haven't received a shipping notice from MO for it yet, so I'm a bit concerned they may have sold out...but I haven't received a refund either, so right now I'm just hoping they're way behind on shipping.

I went to Nurture to order some 1-2 ounces of the MO dupes/alikes so I can compare but the ones I wanted were completely sold out. Both Olive Branch and 8th and Ocean are gone in small sizes.

I just used 8th and Ocean for a try at the gradient challenge. I've never smelled MO South Beach, but I can tell you that 8th & Ocean smells really, really good! I might be able to drain a couple of drops out of the bottle onto a paper towel if you want a sniffie :)

I went to Nurture to order some 1-2 ounces of the MO dupes/alikes so I can compare but the ones I wanted were completely sold out. Both Olive Branch and 8th and Ocean are gone in small sizes. Did you have a rush, Carrie? Do you know when they will be back in stock in smaller sizes?

We did! We are refilling Olive Branch and had to order 8th and Ocean. We will start restocking Monday!

I haven't received a shipping notice from MO for it yet, so I'm a bit concerned they may have sold out...but I haven't received a refund either, so right now I'm just hoping they're way behind on shipping.

Catastrophe, I'm glad you mentioned this. I just checked and discovered my order is supposed to be delivered the day I fly to DC. Of course I leave home at zero dark-thirty, long before deliveries start, so I'm concerned about my box of FO's sitting on my front porch steps for a week! Dang!

I'll have to call FedEx to see if I can reschedule the delivery. The online FedEx Delivery Manager is currently unavailable.

I went to Nurture to order some 1-2 ounces of the MO dupes/alikes so I can compare but the ones I wanted were completely sold out. Both Olive Branch and 8th and Ocean are gone in small sizes. Did you have a rush, Carrie? Do you know when they will be back in stock in smaller sizes?

Newbie, I came into work today and filled a bunch of samples. 8th & Ocean and the Olive Branch are both available in sample sizes now. :)

thank you for all this information! I am beyond excited about Nurture Soap duplicating scents of MO! I am so glad I found this thread as I was heart-broken that MO scents were now gone. I love ordering from Nurture Soap, but now I will love it even more!!! So excited!
I didn't realize a few scents of MO were already in your store. Maybe I will message you to see if you can add them to my order?:)

Carrie, one warning on "Grow a Pear". I wouldn't recommend it for CP - though it's lovely oob. Mine riced and separated worse than any FO I've ever used. Although I eventually got mine together, I got a weird oily/crumbly texture with a gross scent morph. I actually ended up throwing out the batch.

I wish a had a sample of their discontinued Pumpkin Bread. It was the best (by far) of any of the 10 or so pumpkins I've tried.

Their Home for the Holidays is really nice but has a very low usage rate in CP.

Carrie, one warning on "Grow a Pear". I wouldn't recommend it for CP - though it's lovely oob. Mine riced and separated worse than any FO I've ever used. Although I eventually got mine together, I got a weird oily/crumbly texture with a gross scent morph. I actually ended up throwing out the batch.

I wish a had a sample of their discontinued Pumpkin Bread. It was the best (by far) of any of the 10 or so pumpkins I've tried.

Their Home for the Holidays is really nice but has a very low usage rate in CP.

Would you happen to know the IFRA usage for Pumpkin Bread? Was it phthalate free? Any extra info would help me find what fragrance it may be. :) Also, knowing the vanillin content would help a bunch!

Last edited:
Snappyllama, I had a slightly different experience with Mad Oil's Grow A Pear, but I did mix it 50/50 with another pear scent, both of which I got from you. I actually quite adore the scent of the soap I made with them. The soap is described here. There were so many variables that could have affected that soap to make it set up so quickly, but at least it didn't rice. Plus I hand stirred that batch because I expected acceleration. Maybe alone Grow a Pear might not be as nice as in combination with Candlepro's Pearberry, but I sure do like it in this combo. Trouble is, I don't have anymore of the Pearberry to mix it with, although that's easy to remedy. :)

Cindy2428 posted this back in March. I don't see Pumpkin Bread on here but thought this info might be otherwise helpful.

Sexy Beast: IFRA Soap; 3.22%; FP 200F, Vanillin 0.82% MO lists this as an exclusive fragrance and it’s just that. I’ve never smelled a combo like this. It’s a soapy floral with spicy overtones. By nature I’m not a floral fan but I’m going to try this in a roll-on with jojoba oil – I love it that much. Their site lists “mimosa, lily, ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, some fresh laundry, a touch of vanilla, and a whisper of light musk”. Spot on. I would describe this as a sporty feminine floral, but if you added something like black pepper EO I think this would work for guys as well.

South Beach: IFRA-9.49%, 0% Vanillin, 195F FP I have been looking a long time for a tropical fruit scent and this is IT for me. It is not too sweet; the cantaloupe grounds it with a touch of green, but it is bright and fruity with no outright musk or fake “suntan” smell. There is an ocean note but it does not detract from the fruit blend. It’s nice and strong out of the bottle and I’m hoping that this will stick well.

Rose Geranium: IFRA-48.35%, 0% Vanillin; FP 200F If you are a novice to EOs, this would be what you’d expect a rose geranium to smell like – a fully blooming rose garden. (The EO actually is very green and herbal). This is a clean scented rose with just a touch of leafy, earthy undertone.

Wild Hyacinth: IFRA-4.97%, Vanillin 0%, FP 200F I freely admit that I am not a floral fan, and I actually waited to open this bottle last. I’ve been loving every one of these FOs so far and didn’t want to spoil my run. Yes this is a floral but it has enough green notes to prevent that overpowering sweet sickly smell. I actually plan to soap this clean without blending. This will be a first for me.

Pink Grapefruit: IFRA-44.44%, 0% Vanillin, FP 130F I love pink grapefruit and have used the EO in my therapy blends for many years. For the price point I did expect to be disappointed with the harsh end note I have found with less expensive oils. NOT THIS ONE! It’s bright, clean and the perfect citrus. I am really hoping this sticks.

Vanilla Milk: Vanillin 1.30%, FP 200F, Sg 1.1240-1.1340 I’ve stayed away from high vanilla content scents, because in truth I haven’t been able to embrace the brown. But this one will be totally worth it. To me it smells like rich thick, vanilla coconut milk. –No fake, plastic after smell. Those who have been hunting for this will know what I mean.

Them Apples: IFRA-12.82%, 0% Vanillin, 200FP Clean, uncluttered, fresh green apple scent. Surprisingly strong out of the bottle; I imagine in CP needing to use at max strength. Nice and crisp without the sour note of a Granny Smith.

Snow Witch: IFRA-9.90%, 0% Vanillin, 170FP I smell jasmine and strong musk notes with either balsam or fir needle pine. I don’t detect the fruity notes in the MO description, but it is unique. A bit strong of a floral for me personally, but if it tones down a little in soap I may like it more.

Velvet Peppercorn: IFRA 20% , 0% Vanillin, FP 200F I was so looking forward to this one and it does not disappoint. The healthy dose of black pepper EO makes this a bargain. It is not overly sharp but spicy enough for a distinct difference. Their site lists a blend of cracked black pepper, freshly turned dirt and prized velvet. I admit I don’t know what velvet smells like, but it definitely brings a finishing touch to this FO.

Smoke + Mirrors : IFRA 43.48%, FP 200F, Vanillin 0% At the base of this I detect that outside smell of sweet apple wood burning in the fireplace.
There is a moderate musk, but clean with a minimum of florals. I would call this unisex scent sophisticated lumberjack.

Orange Blossom: IFRA-100%, 0% Vanillin, 200FP This carries more of a neroli orange versus tangerine or sweet orange. It’s not overly strong and with it’s high flashpoint I’m curious about what they’ve used to anchor it. There is a light powder note but it carries the citrus well.

Rosebud : IFRA-42.01%, 0% Vanillin, FP 200F Since I was fortunate to be able to purchase this as well as the Rose Geranium, a comparison was inevitable. Rosebud is an all-out, in your face rose. It is very fragrant and feminine. If you were in a flower shop and walked by a dozen of these, they would stop you in your tracks. In contrast, the Rose Geranium is more earthy, carrying the herbal note of the EO. I really like them both; there are distinct differences and I would purchase them separately again.

Powder Puff Girl: IFRA 100%, 0% Vanillin, FP 200F This one reminds me of Clohe perfume, a Carl Lagerfeld scent from 1975. A soft powdery blend of jasmine and honeysuckle with a light finish of a soft rose and a light wood finish. Definitely for the romantic girly-girl.

Pink Sugar Type: IFRA-41.67%, 2% Vanillin, FP 200F Out of the bottle I smell a strong sweet musk-vanilla caramel fragrance . I placed this on a tester and came back to it overnight. It’s still very sweet but I now can pick up on the amber and light floral note.

Mayan Gold : Sg-0.9315, 2% Vanillin, FP 200F MO offers a much better description than I can offer – “An exotic, woody-musk having top-notes of dried berries, black coconut, lemon, orange and a touch of lime, followed by middle-notes of jasmine, rose, neroli and star anise, and finishing with a warm, earthy patchouli, sandalwood, musk and powdery Tonka bean and vanilla base-note.” I can smell everything advertised, and the combination makes it a complicated tropical fragrance. If you are looking for a lighter patchouli tropical blend , this is a good choice.

Marzipan: IFRA-7.12%, 1% Vanillin, FP 181F This smells EXACTLY like the rich decadent almond paste from marzipan. A good almond is hard to find and if you don’t mind the sweet overtones to this one, you’ve found it.

Loo Loo Shampoo : IFRA 10%, 0% Vanillin, FP 200F I would describe this as an herbal floral, spa scent. It’s clean with plenty of floral notes.

Lemon Poppy Muffin Top: (Just notified 3/12 - this one has been discontinued for reformulation) 0% Vanillin, FP 124F –MO notes taupe/tan discoloration. I’m new to foodie scents, but this one makes me hungry. If you like baked goods, this is a winner. I went to sleep carrying this fragrance with me, and be darned if I’m not baking muffins today. I love this scent but I just don’t know if I want to smell like food. One other plus for this one is it is not overly sweet.

Lavender & Chamomile (Huggies) Type: IFRA-5.71%, 0.15% Vanillin, FP 200F Powdery, soft lavender scent with undertones of chamomile. A nice calming scent perfect for children and adults alike. This is one of those traditional scents that you always need to keep in stock . I look forward to playing with this one.

Jasmine: IFRA-11.38%,0% Vanillin: FP 200F I pulled my small bottle of jasmine EO and had to do a comparison. DEAD ON. As with most true florals, MO notes acceleration so be prepared to work quickly.

Hedonic Tonic : IFRA-27.21%, 0% Vanillin, FP 200F Sage highlights this unique FO without being too earthy. It’s not overly sweet and makes a great unisex blend. I love this soapy fresh blend and I admit I’m guilty of tinkering with my FO’s to make them my own, but not this one. It’s wonderful just the way it is.

Gourmet Chocolate : IFRA-6.94%, 15% Vanillin, FP 200F Out of bottle this is a dark chocolate with a liquor undertone. It reminds me of the chocolates we used to buy that were filled with schnapps at Christmas time. I’ll be curious to see if it holds the liquor scent.

Golden Embargo: IFRA-100%, 2.30% Vanillin, FP 200F This is a classic combination of amber, sandalwood and musk. It’s well-balanced and not overly strong out of the bottle. For me it’s one of those scents that offers a demure sensuality – a quiet sexy that make you take a second sniff. MO notes a color change to a “light cappuccino”.

Dragon's Blood: IFRA-33.33%, 1.6% Vanillin, FP 181F Strong and complicated, the patchouli really makes the citrus and embedded florals in this blend shine. This is my first DB purchase and when I did a price comparison, this one is a bargain.

Downy April Fresh Type: IFRA-22.22%, 0% Vanillin, FP 200F I love clean scents and admit to putting my nose directly on my clean laundry fresh and warm out of the dryer. This is an exact dupe of Downy Original.

Cotton Candy: IFRA 5.57% 0%Vanillin, FP 200F Wow is this one sweet. No fruity cereal notes like Monkey Farts, just plain sugar. In all honesty a blender for me but I think it will tone down the medicinal eo’s like tea tree.

Black Raspberry Vanilla: IFRA-6.25%, 0% Vanillin, FP 195F I’ve never purchased BRV before, so I have nothing to compare this to. This is sweet as I expected, but not overly so. I don’t detect vanilla, but more of a butter cream frosting. To add the extra kick from vanilla, I would probably make a 2 layer soap using Vanilla Milk.

Arabian Nights : IFRA-18.18%, 1% Vanillin, FP 200F This one is named perfectly. Exotic, spicy; the musk is not overpowering and lets the citrus shine. This could easily be a men’s cologne or women’s perfume. Powder and musk provide the base and I detect the warmth of sandalwood, lime and either bergamot or lemon verbena.

Snappy, does this sound at all like MO's Pumpkin Bread? I know there are limited fragrance houses in the US so often people carry the same FO's but name them differently.

http://rusticescentuals.com/Pumpkin-Bread.html

Back