Macadamia Soap Turned Purple!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Replying to what &alondrielle said, “my batter turned a rich dark brown”, as well as others that said it turned their soap batter dark, & some said brown.
I guess the amount of palmitoleic acid is not entirely known, as the data I see has it at about 17%. Nevertheless, it appears that this is a fairly stable monounsaturated fatty acid. Meaning, less likely to become rancid unlike linoleic and linolenic fatty acids.

The OP clearly said the soap batter turned ~lavender~, not brown.
The confusion arose because someone other than the OP made a comment in this thread about her soap turning brown, and wondering if it was the mac oil. That was the post to which I was responding, as well.

Plus, I thought I'd read another post where someone had browning (not pinking) from antioxidants, but it's entirely possible that I imagined this! And I still wonder if the person with browning used an FO with vanillin, since that seems much more likely.

Anyway, sorry for creating such confusion, and thanks for the additional info about the FAs in mac oil.

I was just reading on another thread here that it could be the antioxidants that are added to Mac oil that could make it turn darker. But I'd still like to know if other additives were used, such as an FO with vanillin. Hopefully the OP will let us know.
Hi AliOop, Batter turned brown prior to addition of fragrance oils.

Back