M&P vs CP embeds? And other embed questions...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got my first mini-column molds for making embeds. (I lucked out getting a few from someone de-stashing!) I'm looking forward to trying some new design ideas but curious why most info I've found is about using M&P embeds inside the CP soap. Is there any reason not to make CP embeds? Is there a window of time for using the CP embeds after they're made, ie, do they need to be fresh or can I make several ahead of time and use them down the road?
Also, any tips on the math for knowing how much the embed mold will hold, and how much to reduce my bigger outer mold to account for the embed? For example, Brambleberry says the mini-star mold capacity is 3.7 oz. Is that 3.7 oz of oils, or total batter weight? How much oil would I then use for my 32 oz (oil weight) loaf mold if it had one star embed in it?
Thanks for any wisdom you can share as I get ready to try something new!

Yay for destash molds!

I have used both M&P and CP embeds. I prefer CP but sometimes don’t plan ahead well enough to have a CP embed made and unmolded in time to place it into a new CP soap.

In contrast, M&P can be poured into the embed mold at the start of a soaping session and be ready to unmold not long after I have all my CP ingredients measure, colors mixed, etc.

BUT - M&P embeds can break your cutter wires, and even if they don’t break them, they require a different pressure to get through them, as compared to the surrounding CP. I’ve gotten some drag marks in the surrounding soap. So I keep M&P embeds pretty small if they are inside the soap, or put them on top of they are bigger.

Regardless of which type of embed I make, I keep it tightly wrapped till I’m ready to use it. That slows down the curing process (and yes, M&P does cure, too, just differently).

Wrapped embeds stay moister / softer and are less likely to pull away from the new soap. I often wet the embed slightly, too, which also helps it bond to the new soap. I’ve used them months after making them with no problems.

I will ignore all the math questions and let someone else answer those. 😂

Last edited:
Thank you, @AliOop , for all that great information! I'm so pleased that CP embeds are the way to go because I've already got more soap stuff than fits in my soap room (that used to be a guest room, then a sewing room) and I don't want to add M&P supplies to it all! I've never used M&P and had no idea they could be unmolded so soon and that's why they're used for embeds.

Thank you, @AliOop , for all that great information! I'm so pleased that CP embeds are the way to go because I've already got more soap stuff than fits in my soap room (that used to be a guest room, then a sewing room) and I don't want to add M&P supplies to it all! I've never used M&P and had no idea they could be unmolded so soon and that's why they're used for embeds.
Yup, unmolded quickly and used right away - but still better if they cure a few weeks.

Back