M&P Soap for Faces - Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
HELP PLEASE!

Before making this, I'd love some input on whether or not this would make a safe product, since there is no added preservative? It contains a cup (250 grams) of herbal infused tea, mixed with milk powder, oatmeal & honey, and then mixed with 6 tablespoons (60 grams) M&P. I have little experience with M&P, so I'm hoping someone with more experience can tell me if this can work? And guesstimate the shelf life? For more details, here's a link:

https://steptohealth.com/prepare-natural-parsley-soap-reduce-facial-blemishes/

PARSLEY SOAP FOR FACES
Prepare this simple face wash at home for a cheap and natural way to significantly reduce blemishes. Use regularly to give your face extra nutrients to keep it firm, youthful and free of imperfections.

1/2 cup infusion of green tea (125 ml)
1/2 cup infusion of parsley (125 ml)
2 tablespoons milk powder (20 g)
2 tablespoons oatmeal (20 g)
2 tablespoons organic honey (50 g)
6 tablespoons glycerin soap (60 g)

Well, I know that milk powder, oatmeal, honey and glycerin can be used on the face. I see parsley and green tea all over the web for using on the skin for acne.....Not sure if that helps. Sorry, no idea for shelf life.

It would not be safe in my book. First off m&p is not made for adding extra liquids and most m&p does not have the higher ph as soap. Then adding in fresh parsley infusion I would be afraid of. If you want milk use a milk base not powdered milk. We have used oatmeal successfully in m&p. You are adding in infused fresh herbs than love to grow mold. I am sure others here well have a better explanation as to why it is a bad idea. At the least I would add in a preservative that is made for high ph, but not sure it will stop growth with fresh infused water. My daughter would use jojoba beads, oatmeal, salt, sugars, and charcoal in m&p but that is about all

I wouldn't use it either. I've seen how fast herbal infusions go bad even in the fridge.

Maybe you could infuse a light oil with dry parsley and add some of that to m&p, I think you can add 1-2 tsp pp m&p.

I use quite a lot of powdered plant additives, and whilst they arent silky smooth, I wouldnt have said 'scratchy', which is why I suggested it.

Well, I also think how long the soap sits around before use, has a lot to do with how scratchy the additive becomes. For some reason (water evaporation?, something else?), soap with colloidal oatmeal, feels very scratchy to me after a couple of years of cure (or sitting around not being used).

But back to the original question. Zany, this recipe calls for only 6 T of glycerine soap, but it links back to a recipe they use and not to M&P soap, so I think your premise that this is a M&P recipe is incorrect. Once I read that recipe, I became even more concerned about the first recipe you linked. Maybe it would work; I cannot really know, because I have no desire to try this myself, but it sure seems to me you have far better experience making facial soaps that have a reliable track record. If it were me, I'd probably skip this one altogether.

Okay. So I finally got around to making this following the directions below. The end result was a gloppy mess that never did set up like soap. I would say the M&P in the recipe is just enough to make a bit of lather, not solid soap.

Funny story. I poured into 4 molds and put them in the freezer to harden. After I popped them out on the kitchen counter, Hubby walked by and said "Whazat?" I said, "I just made them." He said, "Where'd ya make them, in the bathroom?" They did look like what we used to call little "cow pies" dotting the pasture that we had to step around. LOL Cracked me up.
Method
  • Use two or three tablespoons of the parsley and green tea plants to prepare each infusion, using half a cup of water for each.
  • Once they ‘re warm or at a suitable temperature, pour in the milk powder, oatmeal and spoonfuls of honey.
  • Mix everything with the help of a wooden utensil and stir until you get a smooth paste.
  • Then, take the glycerin soap and melt it.
  • When it becomes liquid, turn off the heat and mix it with the other ingredients.
  • Then, wait for it to cool down.
  • Put the product in some molds and let it sit for 2 or 3 hours to solidify.
How to use it
  • Since it’s a natural soap and without preservatives, you shouldn’t soak it in water because it’ll lose its consistency more easily.
  • Instead, moisten your hands and rub the soap on them until you get foam.
  • Make sure your skin is free of makeup.
  • Rub the product onto the areas of your face which have blemishes on them and leave it on for 5 minutes.
  • Rinse the product off with cold water and use it at least 4 times a week.
Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this. You confirmed exactly what I was thinking myself. This is NOT a good thing and certainly needs a lot more M&P to make it even worth considering a second go. I expected a solid bar of soap and it is far from that. :(

Back