M & P question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevvy

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have started making M&P and trying them on my friends. They all say they smell nice but too dry.

Can I add things like oils or shea to make them softer like CP soap, and how much would you add???

I have used two different bases from two different companies(not mixed together).

What brand(s) are you using?
Some of the ones sold in craft stores are not really great.
There are several online companies that sell really great M & P base.
You can add some oil and or butters, but do it sparingly, too much will alter the lather and other things. I think the rule of thumb is 1 TBSP per one pound.
One of the best M & P is SFIC. If you buy direct their minimum is quite large, but other sell the SFIC base, I think http://www.peakcandle.com does.
Do some searches on here, there are awesome post about M & P bases!
Jeff

What kind of bases are you using? For me, I noticed a difference between the synthetic bases and all natural bases. All natural bases didn't seem as drying to me. I use the all natural bases from wholesale supplies plus. Brambleberry and other companies sell SFIC bases that are really good too. Gotta look at the ingredients list to see what you're getting.

You can add oils and butters up to 1 tablespoon per pound of base, though if you do experimenting you may be able to add more without affecting the lather.

Hope that helps!

Aqua, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Glycerine, Sucrose, Sodium Laurate, Sorbitol, Sodium Laureth Sulphate, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, Sodium Chloride, Stearic Acid, Lauric Acid, , Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

These are the ingredients. I will give it try with the oils. If adding oils do I mix it with the melted base?? And do I do the same with the butters.

Thanks

Yep, you are definitely using a synthetic detergent. Add oils to the melted base, and stir alot. If you don't stir enough, sometime the oil will pool to the top. This will also happen if you use too much oil. Also, melt any butters before adding to the melted base, and once again, stir alot. Good luck and let us know how it turns out! :)

Thanks sunflwrgrl7.

I live down under and there isn't many companies here to buy M&P bases from. But I found this new one is this the ingredients I should be after.

Scent Free
Naturally derived
Produced from Palm oil, Coconut oil, Cator oil, sugar, sodium hydroxide and ethanol.

I do need to order some things from Bramble Berry that we don't have here, but I have to wait to long for the order and it's more expensive.

Thanks

I have this same problem, and I use S.F.I.C. soap from Peak candle. It's a little drying.

Could I add, say, 1/2 a teaspoon of olive oil for a 4-5 oz bar of soap? Just mix with the melted soap and pour...?

Would another oil be better?

Back