M and P Lather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that their m&p soap gets better lather after 1 or 2 weeks? As a rule, I know m&p soap can be used immediately after it has hardened and removed from the mold and doesn’t need a curing time. I find that no matter the base used (and I haven’t tried many), I have to work to get a skimpy lather going for a few days after it is completed. The same soap, after it sits for awhile, starts to lather quite remarkably! Has anyone noticed this, and why would this happen? I’m not complaining, but it seems contrary to m&p. Any ideas?

Has anyone else noticed that their m&p soap gets better lather after 1 or 2 weeks? As a rule, I know m&p soap can be used immediately after it has hardened and removed from the mold and doesn’t need a curing time. I find that no matter the base used (and I haven’t tried many), I have to work to get a skimpy lather going for a few days after it is completed. The same soap, after it sits for awhile, starts to lather quite remarkably! Has anyone noticed this, and why would this happen? I’m not complaining, but it seems contrary to m&p. Any ideas?

I don't make a lot of M&P. Mostly for the holdiays. Yes, I have noticed this. I use WSP detergent free, 3 butter. It is a nice soap but I was not impressed with lather at first. I guess I am used to my CP/HP. However, I did let it 'cure' or sit out a week or so, then tested and it was better. I had some left over soaps I found last week so I took them out to use them up. WAY more lather. In fact, very nice creamy lather. So I am going to make my holiday soaps earlier this year so they have time to 'cure' and be better.

I don't make a lot of M&P. Mostly for the holdiays. Yes, I have noticed this. I use WSP detergent free, 3 butter. It is a nice soap but I was not impressed with lather at first. I guess I am used to my CP/HP. However, I did let it 'cure' or sit out a week or so, then tested and it was better. I had some left over soaps I found last week so I took them out to use them up. WAY more lather. In fact, very nice creamy lather. So I am going to make my holiday soaps earlier this year so they have time to 'cure' and be better.
Edit: the soaps I just took out were left from last year and they are very nice. WSP does say the detergent free is more like CP so that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You for your replies. I don’t use extra butters or clays in my soap. Mine are supposed to be detergent free and I don’t get them from WSP, but from other various web sites. I found this to be very curious for M&P and wondered if others have had the same experience. I am also curious if this would happen if the soaps were wrapped in plastic or not, as mine are exposed to the air. I have made both cold and hot process soap, and the lather gets better after the curing time. If anyone has any other theories, please share!!

Latest posts

Back