Lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milk Machine

Reaction score
I usually get my sodium hydroxide at a great price ($2.94/lb) from Bulk Apothecary. They are out of stock. I looked at WSP & they are out as well. BB has it but for like $7/lb. Does anybody know of a good place to get lye these days? I want around 8lbs

I get my Sodium Hydroxide from Shay and Company...8lbs for $22.50. I don't know what their shipping is since they are local to me. Just make sure you tighten the lid on the container and keep it in a cool and dry space and it keeps well.

I'm in Los Angeles....Del Amo chemical is where I buy my lye from - 50lb bag for about $90. I transfer it to gallon jugs i got from oline & pop in silica packs to combat any moisture. No issues with it. Saves a lot of money

I'm in Los Angeles....Del Amo chemical is where I buy my lye from - 50lb bag for about $90. I transfer it to gallon jugs i got from oline & pop in silica packs to combat any moisture. No issues with it. Saves a lot of money
Those 50lb bags used to be $55 from the Gallade Chem Co I purchased from in Santa Ana. Prices have just soared. :( 😭

Those 50lb bags used to be $55 from the Gallade Chem Co I purchased from in Santa Ana. Prices have just soared. :( 😭
Yup...I was shocked when i called for a bag a few months ago and heard the price...Del Amo had it for 55 bucks as well. But such is the supply chain since covid. It beats ordering online though for 3 or 4 bucks per pound

Yup...I was shocked when i called for a bag a few months ago and heard the price...Del Amo had it for 55 bucks as well. But such is the supply chain since covid. It beats ordering online though for 3 or 4 bucks per pound
I do agree about ordering it online, I am shocked by all the prices. I used to just keep mine in 5-gallon buckets with no issues, but it was not long-term storage. I am sure Gallade is up in the same price range.

Back