lye with water? and handmilling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilee

Reaction score
I was just reading a book called 'The complete soapmaker' by Norma Coney.

In her basic soap recipe on page 34, she writes to pour the water into the lye, and says "Don't make the mistake of adding the lye to the water".

This is against everything I've read on mixing the lye/water. I thought you always should mix the lye into the water.???

Any advice?

Also handmilling. Does anyone handmill any of their soaps? eg grate up the hardened basic soap, melt it and add the additives and eo/fo?

Any comments on this procedure?

I cannot help you in making cp soap but I make rebatch soap (handmilled). You can't really handmill soap a machine does that but thats supposed to be a fancy term. I use it but I do know what it really means. Here is my personal rebatch tutorial

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/vi ... batch+soap

There are lots of threads about rebatching its a lot of fun but a lot of work!

Emilee said:
I was just reading a book called 'The complete soapmaker' by Norma Coney.

In her basic soap recipe on page 34, she writes to pour the water into the lye, and says "Don't make the mistake of adding the lye to the water".

This is against everything I've read on mixing the lye/water. I thought you always should mix the lye into the water.???

Any advice?

I believe that may have been the book that was recalled or taken off the shelfor something like that, due to that statement.

ADD LYE TO WATER, not the other way around.

Yup! When I first started sopaing I called up this phrase from my days in the lab. "Do what you oughta,.... add Lye to Water!". :)

Latest posts

Back