Lye water underneath soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Just taken the paper off my peacock swirl soap and this is what I found. A cavity filled with lye water.

Is this usable?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1420221356.348122.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1420221370.667053.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1420221392.357352.jpg

Have you zap tested the soap yet? Is it still really soft? If too much lye leached out, it possible your soap won't perform well. If it was mine, I would probably rebatch.

I would definitely zap test the soap first. If it's too soft to cut still put it somewhere it can dry out well then when you can cut it see if it zaps inside. I hope you don't have to rebatch, it's a beautiful soap.

If you poured really thin, it's possible the bottom separated some but the top may have held together. I too would wait a bit and cut, then zap test the tops, sides, bottom, and inside. If that is fine, I would trim the bottoms off and keep the soap for personal use. If it zaps, I would rebatch.

We were typing at the same time. Is it zappy inside?

^^Agree. Time is your friend. Let it sit a while and dry out. Then when you cut it check for zap inside. If it doesn't zap you at least you can use it for yourself. So sorry.

If you poured really thin, it's possible the bottom separated some but the top may have held together. I too would wait a bit and cut, then zap test the tops, sides, bottom, and inside. If that is fine, I would trim the bottoms off and keep the soap for personal use. If it zaps, I would rebatch.

We were typing at the same time. Is it zappy inside?

Read my mind! I've just cut around the hole on the bottom as I could bring myself to rebatch it all

Hopefully with a good cure these pieces will be fine

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1420227795.203486.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1420227809.467730.jpg

Love the heart on the corner of the bottom lefthand bar. Sweeeeettt!

Sorry your soap didn't turn out the way you'd hoped, but you certainly have some talent! Glad you were able to save some of your beautiful swirls :wave:

I would also check the rest of the bars that had the bottom kind of fall off. It's possible it's all good once you cut a layer off the bottom. From what I can see, it looks like that happened in the middle, where it may have started to warm up if it was going to try to gel. I have found out many a time that very thinly poured soap can manage just fine if left cool but will easily separate if it warms or gels. I bet the bottom separated a touch but the rest of the bar is good.

Latest posts

Back