Lye Vendors?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dennis, the oil from Ohio you used to order was probably Soaper's Choice aka Columbus Foods. They moved out of Ohio to Des Plaines, Illinois sometime last year I think (or maybe the year before). They still do offer in store pick-up but for me shipping is far cheaper than driving to Des Plaines and back. Maybe one day when I take another trip to Chicago, I'll put in an order for pick-up just so I can see the warehouse.

How far are you from Sebring? I have not been to ED yet, but one of these days when vacationing in Florida, I'd like to see their place if I can fit in a little side trip..[/QUOTE]

Yes, most of my orders were to Soaper's Choice and ED. It has been a long time so
my questions are to get the lay of the land as to what may have changed. Interesting that SC moved out of Ohio. Perhaps a stop at their new location will happen during a summer trip to the UP.
Sebring is a long way. We live about 60 miles from Mobile, Al. This is part of the real Florida. We're soon headed to the fantasy Florida to play tourist. State parks and the mouse's campground will take up a few weeks.

And so far no white squirrels.:D I'm thinking the local predators would snatch them right up.:eek:[/QUOTE said:
We're down to one white squirrel in our back yard. Had two for almost two years. We keep them fed at the back fence and it keeps them out of the attic - so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
"...Soaper's Choice aka Columbus Foods. They moved out of Ohio to Des Plaines, Illinois sometime last year I think (or maybe the year before)....."

I think you're thinking of someone else, Earlene. I've been ordering from Soaper's Choice since I started soaping in 2013. And from the history on their website, I gather they've been a Chicago-land institution in one form or another since the 1930s. https://soaperschoice.com/aboutus

Dennis! Where you been?
Livin' life. The good, the bad and sometimes the ugly. Lots of twists and turns - now also a weaver and bicycle traveler. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

"...Soaper's Choice aka Columbus Foods. They moved out of Ohio to Des Plaines, Illinois sometime last year I think (or maybe the year before)....."

I think you're thinking of someone else, Earlene. I've been ordering from Soaper's Choice since I started soaping in 2013. And from the history on their website, I gather they've been a Chicago-land institution in one form or another since the 1930s. https://soaperschoice.com/aboutus

You're correct about their history as shown on their website but I too used to buy from Columbus/Soaper's Choice and paid lots of money to UPS for shipments from Ohio. Perhaps a warehouse there or a move that was not lasting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, DeeAnna, you may very be correct. I may be misremembering. Some kind of weird confusion on my part. I don't know how I came to that misunderstanding of facts. Maybe I confused Columbus Foods with Columbus, Ohio and when they changed their website, only then put two and two together that Soapers Choice & Columbus Foods were the same company and somehow thought they moved or assumed they merged or some weird connections in my mind occurred. I thought my friend talked about driving there from her home in Ohio to pick up huge orders, and I know that she was not talking about 2 states over into Illinois because she always says I drive REALLY far when I go to her location. So maybe I only thought she was talking about Columbus Foods/Soapers Choice when she was really talking about another vendor. I'll have to ask her next time we talk. I am so embarrassed!

There are other suppliers in Ohio, so maybe Dennis, you ordered from WSP? They are in Independence, Ohio. Or Bulk Apothacary? They are in Aurora, Ohio. They both sell oils as well as other soaping supplies. And as far as I know neither of them has moved, but don't trust my memory.

Maybe I need to have my memory assessed. The horrors!

And you and Dennis may be perfectly correct in saying Soaper's Choice/Columbus Foods has (or had) a presence in Ohio. Maybe not the main headquarters, but a warehouse or distribution center, perhaps?

I'm in Iowa about 5 hours from Chicago, so I have always gotten shipments from their Des Plaines (Chicago) location. Having moused around their website a time or three, I enjoyed learning about their Chicago roots, but that doesn't mean they don't have facilities in other cities too.

Not to worry, Earlene -- it's truly not that big of a deal!

Back