Lye - Technical Grade or Food Grade

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godiva

Reaction score
I'm looking at the lye on AAA Chem - I am assuming that Food Grade is a better lye because it costs more - but you know what happens when you assume. What do or would you use?

Thanks

Godiva said:
I'm looking at the lye on AAA Chem - I am assuming that Food Grade is a better lye because it costs more - but you know what happens when you assume. What do or would you use?
No, no, no! You want COSMETIC grade lye!!! (This is just a joke!!!) ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, you'll pay way, way more for food grade (food grade?) or reagent grade or hugely more for USP grade. Instead what you want is (drum roll...) drain cleaner grade! :)

Not all drain cleaners are alike. Look for a brand that contains 100% sodium hydroxide (NaOH). (Some brands contain dangerous heavy metals, others contain no NaOH at all.) Roebic's is such a brand, commonly found in stores like Lowe's (hardware, home improvement).

It may sound funny that we all make our soap by combining animal or vegetable fats and oils with drain cleaner, but it's true. Please observe proper safety precautions before using lye. Please ask if you don't know the procedures.

And welcome to the forum! :)

I use Rooto Brand, 100% Lye. If you have an independent hardware store in your town they may be able to order it for you. I pick up my "my case" each week, 12 bottles - 1 lb. each. They set it aside for me! I get it cheaper from them than paying shipping from an online supplier. Only $24 for 12 lbs.

They do sell it at higher price if you are only buying one, I think its $3.29.

Wow! Good price! My Roebic's costs about $7 per 2 lb container, $3.50/lb, almost twice what you pay.

Lovehound said:
Wow! Good price! My Roebic's costs about $7 per 2 lb container, $3.50/lb, almost twice what you pay.

I buy a ton of it, my local family owned store agreed to sell it to me cheaper if I agreed to buy it regularly.

Ask your local store, can't hurt. Oh, and don't forget to bring them a nice bar or two every now and again. (To prove you aren't running a meth lab!)

Deda said:
(To prove you aren't running a meth lab!)

It didn't help with me. The supplier stopped selling it to the store! I get it from Rainbow Meadow, but I don't know what grade it is.

Deda said:
Ask your local store, can't hurt. Oh, and don't forget to bring them a nice bar or two every now and again. (To prove you aren't running a meth lab!)
We don't have local stores here. They were all run out of business by the big chains: Home Depot, Lowe's, OSH. They'd look at me like I was from outer space if I told them I was making soap. A more believable story would be "I'm making meth." ;)

Lovehound said:
Godiva said:
No, no, no! You want COSMETIC grade lye!!! (This is just a joke!!!) ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, you'll pay way, way more for food grade (food grade?) or reagent grade or hugely more for USP grade. Instead what you want is (drum roll...) drain cleaner grade! :)

Not all drain cleaners are alike. Look for a brand that contains 100% sodium hydroxide (NaOH). (Some brands contain dangerous heavy metals, others contain no NaOH at all.) Roebic's is such a brand, commonly found in stores like Lowe's (hardware, home improvement).

It may sound funny that we all make our soap by combining animal or vegetable fats and oils with drain cleaner, but it's true. Please observe proper safety precautions before using lye. Please ask if you don't know the procedures.

And welcome to the forum! :)

You made my heart stop for a sec!

I purchased my first 2 lbs of Roebics at Lowes - was nearly $8 w tax - almost $4 per lb.

I decided to go with the Tech grade - got 32 lbs for $80 including shipping - which is about $2.50 per lb, much cheaper than buying Roebic's at lowes. I know this 32 lbs will last me a while. I plan on playing - a lot. :)

Godiva said:
I decided to go with the Tech grade - got 32 lbs for $80 including shipping - which is about $2.50 per lb, much cheaper than buying Roebic's at lowes. I know this 32 lbs will last me a while.
That sounds like a good price although as a beginner way too much quantity for me. I just used up my first 2# container a day or two ago, but I've only been soaping two weeks, 7 batches.

Godiva said:
I plan on playing - a lot. :)
My kind of people! :) :) :) I've just started and I must have purchased $300-$400 of oils and other expendable materials. :) I too plan on playing a lot. I'm an amateur chef in my other hobby and you can't cook if you don't have the ingredients.

I don't want to decide on a recipe and then have to drive to a bunch of stores and order a bunch of stuff on the Internet and wait several days for it to all arrive. I want it NOW!!! :) In fact just today I have three important orders headed this way via UPS and I'm very cross that they haven't arrived yet. Somebody (somebody!!!) didn't order them two weeks ago like they (I!!!) should have done. :)

Heck, two weeks ago I had just decided to go ahead and make soap.

Back