Lye static.. beads went everywhere

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thanks for the tips ladies. I will try the flakes when I go through my first batch of lye. I probably bought to much to start with being my first time but cost wise it was actually cheaper to buy 2# than a few ounces.

I've had this problem if I use A plastic bowl to put the dry lye in. I use a glass bowl to put the lye beads in. But of course the distilled water and lye mix I use plastic so when it heats up it does not break.

i only have crappy plastic safety glasses to wear over my real glasses for soaping
i cant wear goggles because i have to wear glasses to see properly (developed an allergy to contacts)

my brother once was cutting wood and wearing proper safety glasses and somehow a chunk of wood got into his eye through the side. he had a big splinter sticking out of his eyeball. he was lucky it was in the white part, not the iris! the hospital removed the splinter but then he had to go back again later because there was still a tiny piece stuck in there. yikes!!

so i am paranoid about things coming in through the sides of my glasses

Of course you can wear goggles! I have a few styles that go over my glasses. I think I got 2 of them from Amazon. Just make sure that the description mentions wearing them over glasses. Safety glasses just aren't enough protection.

Of course you can wear goggles! I have a few styles that go over my glasses. I think I got 2 of them from Amazon. Just make sure that the description mentions wearing them over glasses. Safety glasses just aren't enough protection.
Actually I can't wear goggles at all, they interfere with my prescription and I figure it's better to be able to see ;) So I use a full face shield.http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

selfie-shield.jpg

Last edited:
A full face mask like that trumps goggles any day! Thanks for sharing the pic of your gear, Ann!

You can get it from Harbor Freight for about $14 if anyone is interested.

Do a quick search on the Net for Harbor Freight Coupons and you can always find a good one for 20% off any one item! Sometimes you can find 25% off.
Also coupons for something for free like tape measure, screwdrivers, tarp, digital meter, or something!

I buy at HF allot myself, nearest one is over 100 miles away, but I ride a motorcycle so a good excuse to go for a nice ride when I want small stuff.

Weather gets better I'll ride up and buy one of those shields myself! Got snow and ice here now.

Also if at HF you could check for leathers. I think that is where I got my leather welding sleeves and maybe leg protection for other work. I think they also have leather aprons. Look in welding section.

Though not the best protection maybe, leathers should keep away the lye if it gets on you long enough to get the leathers off.

Back