lye solution master batch?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by dubnica, Sep 17, 2010.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Feb 18, 2019 #61

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

We are one... Supporting Member

when you enter your recipe into the SoapmakingFreinds calculator (LOVE IT) you click "master batch" and the Water:Lye ratio at which you have made your master batch at the top. Then, in the lye section, you input the lye concentration you wish to use - say 33%.

NOTE - I make my master batch lye solution at a 50% concentration, or a 1:1 water:lye ratio - be sure to put in the ratio at which you made your master batch.

When it calculates your recipe - it will tell you how much additional liquid you need. See (poorly drawn :) ) circles below. I just threw in 100% olive oil at 500 grams oil weight for illustration. for this - the calcuator tells me to take 128...gms of my master batch, plus 64...gms of additional liquid - as I input a 33% concentration. Watch the numbers change as you change your concentration.

LOVE this calculator!

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 11.14.02.png

2. Feb 18, 2019 #62

Cal43

Cal43

Cal43

Supporting Member

THank you ladies, I’m so excited and still so afraid. This journey is awesome and you ladies and gentlemen are the best! Thanks again

3. Feb 18, 2019 #63

Cal43

Cal43

Cal43

Supporting Member

What would you consider a good beginning point for 50:50 solution. I was wondering if a gallon would be good?

4. Feb 18, 2019 #64

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

I started with less than a gallon of distilled water cuz I only had one 1-gallon storage container at the time. I think I used about 2/3 to 3/4 of a gallon of water. What I did NOT do was confirm for my next batch how much concentrate it made - I can just tell you it fit into my 1-gallon container! If you make notes on yield for a 50% concentrate solution - or if someone else has - would be super to know!

5. Feb 18, 2019 #65

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

The weight should be double what your water started out as, Clarice. But that doesn't really tell you the volume. So looking up DeeAnna's info on the subject, she says, "Lye solution can weigh up to 1 1/2 times more than the same volume of water" therefore you can use an algebraic equation (I'll leave that up to you) to determine how much volume you end up with. (How to determine weight by volume of a solution: https://sciencing.com/calculate-wv-weight-volume-5092442.html)

When I add 997 grams of NaOH to 998 grams of water, I get 1988 grams of solution after evaporation (from the heat produced and the resulting vapor rising into the air). I then add back in 6 grams of water to make sure the solution is 1994 grams total that I want. This is from my notes of when I first made Masterbatch lye. (It was the easiest one to find because it's the one I go back to when I want to refresh my memory of how I make it.) But I do not determine the volume because for me it doens't matter. I have more than enough empty lye containers to use and never need to fill more than 3 of said containers (Essential Depot lye NaOH containers are what I use.)

To determine how much solution will fit into your one-gallon container, you need to know the weight of your solution. I don't use a one-gallon container, so can't be much help on that score experientially, but here goes. 64 ounces = 1814 grams. The 50% lye solution can weigh up to 1.5 x 1814 grams, but you only want 1814 grams of solution since the volume of your container is limited to holding that amount.

I would say if you start out with 1360 grams of water and add 1360 grams of NaOH, the resulting solution it should fit into that one-gallon container. But you should double check the math to be sure before testing out my calculations. Also make sure the weigh the solution and add back in any water that evaporated off.

Clarice likes this.
  6. Feb 18, 2019 #66

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

DeeAnna

1 gallon of water weighs roughly 8 pounds and 1 gallon of 50% masterbatch solution weighs roughly 12 pounds. Divide the 12 pounds by 2 to get the weight of water and the weight of dry NaOH you need to fill the jug -- 6 pounds of each. I underfill my lye jug for safety -- it's much harder to pour without spilling from a jug that's brim full than it is to pour from a container that has a little room at the top.

I also want to caution folks that making a large jug of NaOH solution might be too much of a good thing. You don't want the container you pour from to be too heavy for safety and comfort.

One way around having to pour from a jug is to use a jug with a dispensing spigot. If you go that route, be absolutely certain the materials in the spigot are rated for use with concentrated NaOH. Most seals inside spigots you see in consumer products are not alkali resistant. If possible, I also recommend storing a jug with the spigot facing up so there's no liquid against the spigot in "storage mode." Set the spigot facing down only when you want to dispense.

Susie and shunt2011 like this.
  7. Feb 18, 2019 #67

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

I make only enough 50/50 solution that will get me through about 7 or 8 (1lb to 2.8lb) batches of soap, which for me calls for 2lbs 4 oz NaOH. The solution fits nicely in my detergent bottle w/pour spout, and is light enough for me to handle and pour without issue.

IrishLass :)

8. Feb 18, 2019 #68

Clarice

Clarice

Clarice

I am switching to the detergent pour spout - too many drips from my gallon vinegar bottle! and I like the idea of half way full - good safety tip!