lye solution master batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG HORIZONS! I see possibilities ahead! Jumping around the room!

Whoo Hoo!

Does anybody know if milk gallon bottles will work (plastic). I cannot find the PP number on it? Is there a way to test?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m dizzy, this master batching talk got my head spinning. But it all good. I’m learning lots! Thanks ladies and gentlemen!

Hot Dawg! I have just discovered my gallon white vinegar containers - of which I have many as I use for cleaning - say HDPE on the bottom - that triangle with the 2 in it! super thick like detergent bottles (which i don't use! I use Charlie's Soap Powder) so I was flummoxed for a bit! YAY

Hot Dawg! I have just discovered my gallon white vinegar containers - of which I have many as I use for cleaning - say HDPE on the bottom - that triangle with the 2 in it! super thick like detergent bottles (which i don't use! I use Charlie's Soap Powder) so I was flummoxed for a bit! YAY
I have one also!! Yay

You're going to love masterbatching! If you're anything like me, you will never look back with a wistful eye to the days of mixing your lye fresh for each batch.

I like to use the HDPE laundry bottles that have the no-spill spout. It catches any lye dribbles and directs them back into the bottle.

IrishLass :)

You're going to love masterbatching! If you're anything like me, you will never look back with a wistful eye to the days of mixing your lye fresh for each batch.

I like to use the HDPE laundry bottles that have the no-spill spout. It catches any lye dribbles and directs them back into the bottle.

IrishLass :)
Are you referring to the bottle that was posted in the previous post?

So I made my master batch last night out on the back patio - - - and it should be cool by this AM

So - Q - making a soap with heavy cream

I have seen recipes that say freeze the cream pre mixing with the lye - I am assuming that with a master batch, since it is at room temperature, I don't have to do that - right?

I understand that I WILL need to prevent it from overheating once in the mold so as to prevent scorching - so I can pop the mold into the freezer.

Thanks!

Just be aware that if you use a 50:50 master batch and dilute it to a lower percentage it will heat up when you add the additional water. Mine heats up to about 125 which works great for me.

When I use my 50/50 masterbatch, I add my other liquid directly to the oils because I often use coconut milk. I bought a heavy #5 plastic pouring pitcher from Walmart with a screw-on lid and a spout that snaps shut to keep air from getting in and messing with my solution. I LOVE using masterbatch and I find that I make more soap when I have things just ready to go. My next adventure is going to be masterbatching oils, but I need to do some research to find a good storage solution for that. Once I get that accomplished, the possibilities are endless! SO much soap to be made, and it can happen so quickly!

As we get older, lifting and pouring any liquid from a large container becomes more uncomfortable. For some, it even becomes completely unwieldy. I thought I'd mention that in case anyone here has reached a time in their life that the challenge of lifting and pouring a gallon of anything is more than you want to consider when that liquid is a 50% lye solution.

If any of you order your lye from Essential Depot (a few times a year they have a really good sale and no shipping charges, making it a good deal), the bottles their NaOH comes in are perfect for storing your 50% lye solution. And they are small enough that lifting and pouring is not as much a challenge for arthritic or weaker hands. PLUS, they are already labeled as Lye, so all I have to so is add a note about it being 50% concentration & I put the date I made the solution on the masking tape (my own added label) as well. AND the lids are quite secure with a child-lock type closure, making it even safer if it gets knocked over. Although I have never tested it by knocking it over.

When I make my MB, I usually fill about 2.5 - 3 of those ED bottles, which originally hold 2 pounds of lye crystals. The containers are recycle #2, so perfectly safe for storing lye solution.

So I made my master batch last night out on the back patio - - - and it should be cool by this AM

So - Q - making a soap with heavy cream

I have seen recipes that say freeze the cream pre mixing with the lye - I am assuming that with a master batch, since it is at room temperature, I don't have to do that - right?

I understand that I WILL need to prevent it from overheating once in the mold so as to prevent scorching - so I can pop the mold into the freezer.

Thanks!
You can gel a cream soap, you just don't want it to overheat. Milks/creams tend to heat on their own so you normally don't have to force gel, but then you run the risk of partial gel.

As we get older, lifting and pouring any liquid from a large container becomes more uncomfortable. For some, it even becomes completely unwieldy. I thought I'd mention that in case anyone here has reached a time in their life that the challenge of lifting and pouring a gallon of anything is more than you want to consider when that liquid is a 50% lye solution.

If any of you order your lye from Essential Depot (a few times a year they have a really good sale and no shipping charges, making it a good deal), the bottles their NaOH comes in are perfect for storing your 50% lye solution. And they are small enough that lifting and pouring is not as much a challenge for arthritic or weaker hands. PLUS, they are already labeled as Lye, so all I have to so is add a note about it being 50% concentration & I put the date I made the solution on the masking tape (my own added label) as well. AND the lids are quite secure with a child-lock type closure, making it even safer if it gets knocked over. Although I have never tested it by knocking it over.

When I make my MB, I usually fill about 2.5 - 3 of those ED bottles, which originally hold 2 pounds of lye crystals. The containers are recycle #2, so perfectly safe for storing lye solution.

That's exactly what I use, and exactly why I do it. I am short, and my shoulders are not what they used to be. Those 32 oz bottles are perfect. And I saved a bunch. I have the contents labelled on the top of the "shoulder" of the bottle, that way, if you are looking down into a tote of supplies, you know instantly what it is.

That's exactly what I use, and exactly why I do it. I am short, and my shoulders are not what they used to be. Those 32 oz bottles are perfect. And I saved a bunch. I have the contents labelled on the top of the "shoulder" of the bottle, that way, if you are looking down into a tote of supplies, you know instantly what it is.
Always makes me smile to see that someone else is doing exactly the same thing I am doing that I thought was a brilliant original idea.

When you master match lye, do I just pour out what you need according to recipe or do I need to add extra water at times. I read the entire thread, but I’m not sure about this part.

When you master match lye, do I just pour out what you need according to recipe or do I need to add extra water at times. I read the entire thread, but I’m not sure about this part.

If mixing a 50/50 batch you will need to add the additional liquid amount either to your lye/water mix or to your oils (which I do always).

It depends. Sorry, I know you are looking for a black and white answer, but there isn't one.

If you make your lye masterbatch at the 50% concentration that most of us do AND you want to make soap with a less concentrated lye, yes, you will have to add extra water. The extra liquid is needed to dilute the masterbatch to the concentration you need.

If you make your lye masterbatch at whatever concentration you use for soap making, then no, you would not add extra water. The masterbatch contains all the water required.

Latest posts

Back