Lye Shipping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuirkyBlossom

Reaction score
I am currently looking for lye suppliers. Some of the ones I have checked out have very high shipping rates. Can anyone suggest a company with more reasonable shipping rates or does lye just cost more than usual to ship?

Lye costs more b/c it is a hazardous substance, thus generating more paperwork. I think companies actually need some type of insurance to ship it.

How much do you want? If you have the space to store it, it may be worthwhile to you to buy it in bulk locally. Try Googling chemical supply companies in your city.

If you just want small amounts, try local hardware stores. Mine carries Rooto Brand which is 100% lye. Red Devil used to be lye but now it isn't. You may need to ask b/c some shops keep it stored in the back. I've also gotten it at Cash & Carry places. You may have to show ID.

I'm in Iowa and buy from The Lye Guy too. I am pleased with his service and prices overall.

Lye is heavy stuff, so it's just plain gonna cost more to ship due to its weight. There's no getting around that reality.

Suppliers are going to calculate a fair price for shipping and show it as such, or they are going to hide their shipping costs in the product prices and try to mislead buyers into thinking they're getting "free shipping." You have to look at the cost of the total order to know what supplier really has the best price. But I also factor in good customer service, quality of packaging, user friendly website, etc., so for me the company with the lowest cost isn't necessarily my preferred supplier.

Lye requires hazmat shipping for quantity over some amount. It doesn't take much to hit the amount for a soap maker. It is also watched because of it's potential to be used in other things that are not legal. I have had to answer some strange questions at the local hardware store. Now I just bribe them with samples.

There are sometimes sellers on eBay that have good prices and shipping too. If you use one of them I would count on needing to repackage the lye in airtight containers.

Lye Guy does seem like the best option for now. I didn't see pricing listed on the page, but since so many people use Lye Guy, I'm assuming it is reasonable.

I might still check with a local chemical supply to find out how large of an order I would have to place with them. Not for now, but in the future if I want an even larger amount.

Missouri has Tractor Supply Company stores in various towns. I often buy lye (NaOH) at TSCs, both local to where I live, as well as all over when I am traveling It is in a black plastic bottle found in the plumbing area, sold a a drain opener. I am very happy with the quality of the lye at TSC. But I can usually only buy one or two bottles at a time as they don"t keep a large stock on hand.

If you want to buy more, then the above suggestions are good. I use Amazon Prime all the time, it's worth it to me to order my KOH there. I have also ordered NaOH, but I actually like the fine crystals better that I get when I purchase at TSC.

I've found lye at Menards in the plumbing section. Our local TSC doesn't carry it, and it's a special order item at our Ace Hardware.

Latest posts

Back