Lye question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mschwartz

Reaction score
I’m new to this soap making. I was going to get into it years ago and bought supplies to do it but never did. I ordered lye from the soap barn I believe. It’s probably been at least 10 years ago. It’s been stored in its original package and in a tote in one of my outbuildings that’s dark and cool. My climate is dry. It’s in a clump that breaks up and is really white in color. My question is if I put it in some water and it gets close to 200 degrees is that all I need to worry about or is there more to it than that? It’s quite a bit so I hate to just throw it away. Thanks!

So I tried putting 4.69 ounces of lye in 9.38 ounces of water and it only heated to 168. I assume chuck it then?

So I tried putting 4.69 ounces of lye in 9.38 ounces of water and it only heated to 168. I assume chuck it then?
You don't need to chuck it - you can just increase the amount of lye used to account for the lower purity. There are some good threads here about how to check the lye purity and do the math to adjust for it.

I would adjust the amount of lye also. Lye does not "go bad", but it does absorb moisture. Which then throws your weight off of the amount of lye needed. If you are not experienced enough to do the adjustments needed to get the proper amount of lye. I would mix with an equal part of water and run it down the drains and just order new. No need making it more difficult than you are comfortable with. Math and I are not good friends, so I would run it down the drains and order new. No shame in it.

Latest posts

Back