Lye question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauboon

Reaction score
Can someone please tell if after pouring lye into water and the initial harsh vapors are released is it safe for me to bring the lye water mixture indoors to cool? Or should I continue to leave the lye outdoors to cool?

I mix my lye on my kitchen counter by an open window with a small fan running on low to encourage the fumes outside...after the fog clears, I put a lid on it and wait for it to cool. The fan is not really necessary but I have little kids and animals running around all day so the more precautions the better here.

I found it WAY more risky mixing the lye solution on my back patio and then having to navigate it through the sliding glass door/curtains, over a threshold, through my living room and into the kitchen with my rubber gloves, face mask and goggles that somewhat distort the clarity of my peripheral vision.

Bukawww said:
I found it WAY more risky mixing the lye solution on my back patio and then having to navigate it through the sliding glass door/curtains, over a threshold, through my living room and into the kitchen with my rubber gloves, face mask and goggles that somewhat distort the clarity of my peripheral vision.

Agreed.

I mix mine in the sink (usually in an ice bath). That way the container is below my hand height and protected by the walls of the sink (does that make sense?) I don't risk bumping it when stirring. My window is open and it sucks the fumes right out. Plus if a kid or dog comes in the room there is less of a chance that they will knock into it. Of course I'm usually yelling "get out of the kitchen".

I also mix in the sink if I need a fresh mixture. We put a laundry room sink in that's really nice and deep. Eliminates a lot of worry about dumping something over.

Latest posts

Back