Lye Pockets?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made this soap yesterday and have just cut it. There a few spaces in-between my multiple layers of piping that were a bit weepy upon cutting. They are zappy. Will this lye evaporate over time with cure, or have I just made a lye pocket soap by leaving trapped bits of air between layers of piping?
IMG_0979.jpeg

Last edited:
It might not be lye pockets. It could be FO, or some unsaponified oil (both could be zappy given circumstances) I'd give it a week and zap test again. If it's still zappy then, you can rebatch. (Which would be a shame to lose the layers and swirls)

It might not be lye pockets. It could be FO, or some unsaponified oil (both could be zappy given circumstances) I'd give it a week and zap test again. If it's still zappy then, you can rebatch. (Which would be a shame to lose the layers and swirls)
Fingers crossed. If I had to rebatch i would just rebatch the 'piping' part and cut the bars across to keep the bottom half which is fine.

Based on that bar it looks like the pockets are only/mostly on the top? If it doesn’t cure out you can always cut off the tops instead of rebatching the whole bar.

Latest posts

Back