Lye pockets versus Fragrance pockets

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning Everyone,

I have not been soaping long, and I have researched lye pockets extensively. I see some say fragrance pockets, lye pockets, and then I also see pictures of heat tunnels when researching lye pockets. One thread here, I see a small hole in a piece of soap, but I don’t know if I should assume every hole in my batch could be a lye pocket. So, I’m kind of lost. I have this batch that I made, it clearly has glycerin rivers in a few layers, but I also notice a few oozing spots. I know that the batter was mixed well. I also use a strainer to strain my lye since I use tussah silk. I used soap calc for my recipe and I know the measurements were spot on.
I started off with a mixed base color of orange, then separated the batter and reblended after mixing some TD in each layer. i use TD for oil. I can actually see some TD spots in all of the layers. Then I remixed with the stick blender after adding my fragrance and kaolin clay for all layers except one which for some reason I mixed with a spatula. The only thing I did not do was tap the mold onto the floor. I rarely do that, I guess because I don’t remember to. Could these still be lye pockets or would it just be the fragrance oil. I did the zap test and I don’t feel anything. To be honest, I’m just left with a nasty taste in my mouth from the fragrance oils whenever I do it. Should I assume that any hole or oozing from my soap is a lye pocket even if I know I mixed the batter well? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• E3AB4BC5-3730-4650-ACEA-76312A1BB70F.jpeg
    E3AB4BC5-3730-4650-ACEA-76312A1BB70F.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 33
  • D90A9F11-4B8B-4DE1-AA24-22DF1396DA25.jpeg
    D90A9F11-4B8B-4DE1-AA24-22DF1396DA25.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 7315B077-F31E-4322-A39F-7411A25F3E97.jpeg
    7315B077-F31E-4322-A39F-7411A25F3E97.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 27
You are correct on the glycerin rivers. You spots could be glycerin but I'm thinking it's likely fragrance oil seeping as your soap may have gotten a bit hot. I would just leave it and see what happens. After a few days, zap test the soap, not the liquid seeping as long as you're sure you measured correctly.

Otherwise you should be fine.

Looks like FO to me or possibly glycerin. In all the years I've been soaping, I've never had a lye pocket.
I'd only worry about it if you see weird crystals in the hole.

You are correct on the glycerin rivers. You spots could be glycerin but I'm thinking it's likely fragrance oil seeping as your soap may have gotten a bit hot. I would just leave it and see what happens. After a few days, zap test the soap, not the liquid seeping as long as you're sure you measured correctly.

Otherwise you should be fine.
Thank you shunt2011.

Looks like FO to me or possibly glycerin. In all the years I've been soaping, I've never had a lye pocket.
I'd only worry about it if you see weird crystals in the hole.
Thank you, Obsidian.

I've never had fragrance pockets before. I just made a batch and added the fragrance oil to the oils before the lye water (so I wouldn't forget). Stick blended the hell out of it till emulsified (not trace) and divided it into cups of color for a pot swirl. After pouring it into the mold, I noticed a couple of clear pockets on the top. Will unmold it tomorrow and see what it looks like.

What risks are there in a soap where the fragrance isn't completely blended in? I used Orange Peel FO from Brambleberry. Hope I don't have to do this one over...

Back