Lye not dissolved

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunnamoon

Lunnamoon
Reaction score
I was making a soap today that contained frozen coffie,frozen coconut milk and frozen beer .I stored my lye a few times as the it looked good as I got my oils to 125 and my lye liquid to 70 .I had modest as I mixed everything I saw little lumps I rubbed the batter around in my finger with gloves on and I could feel the lye baslls.i kept it out side. I am so confused to my the lye disnt dissolve I had it out out side for an hr .I kept stiring. aby ideas to why this happens.tbx

I was making a soap today that contained frozen coffie,frozen coconut milk and frozen beer .I stored my lye a few times as the it looked good as I got my oils to 125 and my lye liquid to 70 .I had modest as I mixed everything I saw little lumps I rubbed the batter around in my finger with gloves on and I could feel the lye baslls.i kept it out side. I am so confused to my the lye disnt dissolve I had it out out side for an hr .I kept stiring. aby ideas to why this happens.tbx
It happened to me once. I was told it could be lye and milk lumps, because my coconut milk was frozen when I added my lye crystals. The advice I got was to either use a slushy and not completely frozen liquid, or make a concentration of my liquid and add that to trace/after the cook instead.

You can read that advice here if you want :)

ah ok awsome thank you so much for tacking the time to leave a comment very appreciate st this time lol i was so upset yesterday .and figured I made this 3x befor waht I do lol

The fats in the milks probably saponified or it was too cold and didn't dissolve. That's why many of us do the 50/50 split method. I dissolve my lye in distilled water. I add the liquid difference in milk with powdered added to it to make it full milk and blend that into my oils. Blend well then add my lye/water.

thank you for your help much appreciated .
I was out on my balcony table was cold due to snow on it. I made this soap not in the winter befor .
I had my liquids with the lye at 70 deg and my oils at 125
can I rewatch this soap ,not sure what to do with it .ill cut it tonight ot tomorrow and post pic . to see if any one can see if there is lye pockets and .

Last edited:
It sounds like you were adding lots of extra liquids - coffee, beer and milk, and those come at the cost of total liquid in soap. Lye needs at least equal amount of water by weight to completely dissolve. So if you have 5 oz of lye, you'll need 5 oz of water to dissolve it. Anything above 50% concentration will need tricks to dissolve. This could be one of the reasons. Good luck!

It sounds like you were adding lots of extra liquids - coffee, beer and milk, and those come at the cost of total liquid in soap. Lye needs at least equal amount of water by weight to completely dissolve. So if you have 5 oz of lye, you'll need 5 oz of water to dissolve it. Anything above 50% concentration will need tricks to dissolve. This could be one of the reasons. Good luck!
You can add your lye to purees and/or any liquid.

I used to use a lot of purees and always added my lye to frozen purees. Granted some purees do not freeze as hard as ice cubes but they can be pretty hard depending on the sugar content and water in the puree. I would add in the lye in small increments stirring and mixing until I would see no lye on the frozen, then add in more, as the lye dissolves you can add in the lye in larger increments. If you do it this way you should strain the mixture before mixing in your soap because it can be hard to see if there are undissolved lye crystals. By straining the worst that will happen is you will up superfat a titch

In her post she’s adding the lye to her required liquids but they are frozen is all. [emoji3]

lye was waigh out at 337 g of liquid
I had 110g of beer frozen
110 g of frozen coconut milk
115 g frozen coffie

added 146g of lye over and stired till it melted.
thank you

I realised after I had read other comments it should have been a bit slushy

I had cut open one my small bars and yip small round hard balls .they dont burn eather.so what can I do with this soap crock pot .toss or make liquid soap with it

Attachments

• 20190212_183704.jpg
    20190212_183704.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20190212_183645.jpg
    20190212_183645.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's a lot.. Would you be willing to do smaller batches for tests? Big batches are a big waste if they don't turn out ok. Maybe in the range of 1-2lbs?

this is a 2 lb batch I made this soap a few time just this to.e it didnt turn out :(

Attachments

• 20190212_185030.jpg
    20190212_185030.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190212_192259.jpg
    20190212_192259.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190212_192230.jpg
    20190212_192230.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190212_192234.jpg
    20190212_192234.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 6
That’s still too much soap for a beginner. Especially if you have to toss it. If your soap has bits of lye I personally would toss it. You can leave it for awhile and then zap test it bit I don’t think I’d risk it. You won’t be able to rebatch it and get any lye bits dissolved.

thanks lol this is not my 1st batch of soap iv been soaping for 2 +year ,know and this is the 1st time I have had this happen. So far I my journey of making soap.thanks .I made this soap last summer a few times introducing it to my line and didnt have a problem. this is my 1st time making this soap in the WINTER and ran in to this problem. I had made 3 batches this week with out milk that turned out great .thank you.

Last edited:
thanks lol this is not my 1st batch of soap iv been soaping for 2 +year ,know and this is the 1st time I have had this happen. So far I my journey of making soap.thanks .I made this soap last summer a few times introducing it to my line and didnt have a problem. this is my 1st time making this soap in the WINTER and ran in to this problem. I had made 3 batches this week with out milk that turned out great .thank you.

Then you may want to post in the regular lye forum instead of the beginners. That’s why I thought you were new. Also, kind of a beginners error. Sorry I was trying to help. Won’t happen again. [emoji3]

it's all good.

it's all good I looked on line didnt read just looked for people who had the same problem. I didnt have the intention to start any fight. I am sorry for this

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back