Lye mixture

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
Hi,

I have to add 67g Lye (NaOH) to 156g water.

When I did this the mixture now weighs 223g.

So when I am adding lye to 1/3 of my oils I should use 1/3 of the 223 grams.

Is that right?

What happens when I add pumpkin or GM that haven't had lye added to them. How much "water" should I add then?

Why are you adding lye to only 1/3 of your oils?

As for the other ingredients, i would mix the NaOH w an equal amount of water (67g in your example). Then the remaining amount of water I would sub milk or pumpkin (89g in you're example) and mix this into your oils before I added the lye.

I want to add colour to only 1/3 of my oils.
It is easy if I want my soap all one colour but I am trying to add colour to only 1/3 or 2/3 of the mix.

So the pumpkin is substituted for the water only.
Then how do I divide the lye which when mixed with water is heavier than the "water".

amd hit the nail on the head.

Why did you decide to do split your lye and oils before mixing? I have heard of it being done when you want very distinct layers with crisp lines, like a rainbow soap - but that is such a huge amount of work, I would not go that route for anything else.

Yes, too much could go wrong and it is much easier to mix the batch all at once, then color a smaller amount.

The only time I did anything like this was because I needed to use different oils in one part of the soap - a pencil line with the top part being one recipe and the bottom another, because of colour coming from an oil (it didn't work that well) - but even then I essentially made to batches next to each other, rather than trying to split the oils once mixed.

I agree with the above - if it's only for adding colours in, split the batch at emulsion

I thought splitting the batches before the lye would avoid putting more water in the coloured batches. I have a problem with the coloured sections of my soap and can only think that the tsp of water I add with the colour is making the difference. I think it's because I only make 2.5 lb (of oil) batches and I split them in 3 for colour so 1 tsp is making a big difference? That's all I can think of.

Last edited:
I really doubt it is that bit of water. But I have no idea what it could be. We would almost need to see a video of you making a batch, with labels showing, to see if we can spot it.

I mix my colors with oil, other than my TD, and it never comes out soft like you say yours does. Have you tried mixing with oil or glycerin?

I mix my colors with a tbsp of water or avj and don't have problems. I soap at 2:1 ratio. If you think it is the extra liquid, you can find out by mixing your colors from your soap liquid before adding lye.

I really doubt it is that bit of water. But I have no idea what it could be. We would almost need to see a video of you making a batch, with labels showing, to see if we can spot it.

I know! I think it is my maths. When I start complicating things! I have also dropped my castor oil to 5%.

I thought 1 tsp of water might effect a colour if it was just a swirl of about 200g of soap batter? I use water from the recipe.

I don't mix my colours with oil because the ones I have are water dispersant ones. But I am buying some oil dispersant ones asap!

I made 3 x confetti soaps today (don't require colour!) and a pumpkin soap that required paprika infused oil and pumpkin instead of part water. I tried making pumpkin soap yesterday and it was a throw-in-the-bin disaster (my first [emoji24]) Did not saponify. I am hoping today's will be more successful.

My DH made me write a soaping protocol today- basically a step by step process sheet of making each recipe - because I left the FO out of a soap AGAIN today. This might help work out where I am going wrong.
I mix my colors with a tbsp of water or avj and don't have problems. I soap at 2:1 ratio. If you think it is the extra liquid, you can find out by mixing your colors from your soap liquid before adding lye.

I do that. I am thinking it is knocking the ratios out because some parts get less water and some parts get more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind when making small batches and mixing your colors with batch oils you need to add all the color back into the batch, or you will be shorting your batch oil. Not a great problem as there is always some superfat included into your recipe. But that is another topic. This is why I like glycerin, all colors dissolve in glycerin, or at least I have not found any that won't. I just mix my color really thick so I do not add in huge amounts of extra glycerin

Keep in mind when making small batches and mixing your colors with batch oils you need to add all the color back into the batch, or you will be shorting your batch oil. Not a great problem as there is always some superfat included into your recipe. But that is another topic. This is why I like glycerin, all colors dissolve in glycerin, or at least I have not found any that won't. I just mix my color really thick so I do not add in huge amounts of extra glycerin

Can you mix water dispersible colours with glycerin.

Can you mix water dispersible colours with glycerin.

Yes, glycerin can handle both water and oil colorants.

I find it makes a very thick paste, and I do not like using it personally for my mica, I much prefer oil.

But that does not mean you should not try it, as you might love it.

Back