Lye Mess up, Help Plz

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaraaSoaps

Reaction score
Hello, amazing soap makers, I'm new to soap and have lye heavy soap. I put my recipe through a calculator, but id not notice that it was for liquid soap and not solid. Recipe i i followed thinking was for solid soap Lye 2.78oz, water 6.22oz. Oils= olive oil 5.4oz 40%, castor 0.68oz 5%, plam 2.02oz 15%, coconut 3.38 25%, shea 0.68 5%, sunflower 1.35 10%. I
used this to make a honey and turmeric soap something inside of me was telling me this was too much lye, but I didnt listen and tried it not once, but twice. At first i though it was because i put too much honey so the next time ran the numbers again, but did not notice that it was because it was on liquid soap not solid until after i made the second batch.

The question is should I, or can i rebatch the soap and make it safe for use by balancing PH by adding more oils to the batch. Also what is the thoughts on selling rebatch soap that was not lye heavey and rebatched soap that was lye heavy.

I hate rebatching and have very little experience, so I'll let someone else advise the best thing to do.

Personally, I wouldn't sell this soap, even after rebatching. If the soap was lye heavy after rebatching, definitely do not sell it. I can't quite tell if that is what you are asking. If you are asking if you should sell soap that didn't have any problems, but that you rebatched for some other reason that would be ok. I would only ask why rebatch soap that doesn't need to have a problem corrected.

The soap has roughly -40% lye excess. I'm with the others. For a mistake this serious, I would not sell the soap. Even if you did rebatch the soap and correct the problem, this soap is a science experiment, not a saleable product.

Frankly, there's not a lot of benefit to fixing this soap. If you did rebatch it and add the fats required to consume the excess lye, you'd end up with roughly 2.5 times more soap than you've already got right now. And this soap is going to be rebatch soap, which is usually not very attractive.

I would wear gloves, wrap the soap well in paper or plastic to protect others, and discard it in the trash. And chalk this up to a learning experience. Far better to build your knowledge and skills by moving on to making new batches of good soap.

And please note that if you did correct the lye excess of this soap, the pH won't change nearly as much as you might guess. Yes, the pH will lower a bit, but it will never be "pH balanced" in the way most people think of when they use this phrase. Soap has to stay alkaline (high pH) to remain functional soap.

Last edited:
Back