Lye,Lye,Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadken123

Reaction score
I've been looking for the most inexpensive lye for my CP soap.Since the lye is used up during sponification can drain cleaner be used, like sold at Lowes?Does anyone have a good source of inexpensive lye?

Thanks in advance,Ken

I've been looking for the most inexpensive lye for my CP soap.Since the lye is used up during sponification can drain cleaner be used, like sold at Lowes?Does anyone have a good source of inexpensive lye?

Thanks in advance,Ken

You can use the lye at hardware stores, just make sure it states 100% Lye. I got mine from ACE Hardware when I first started. Then started purchasing in bulk. Check out Essential Depot or The Lye Guy if you want more than 2 lbs at a time. I purchase 64 lbs at a time.

If you have Amazon Prime, you might want to check there too. I know that you aren't looking for a large quantity but I just bought 32 lbs. on Amazon (no free shipping) for $1.96 per lb. which includes the $21 shipping.

OH MAN! Cancelling my order of 12 pounds for 41 bucks!
If you're a member of the Greener Life Club at ED, use coupon code 20GREENER2 on Amazon for a little over $9 discount which is pretty much what they charge for it on the website (as a member). They wanted something like $50 to ship the 32 lbs. to me and even though I could also receive a few things free it just wasn't worth the extra $30.... hence ordering through Amazon. I have no idea what the justification is for charging so much more for shipping through their website..

I was just on Amazon, and they have a promo from Essential Depot: Buy 3 1 gallon pails of Palm Oil, pay for 2 ($29.37 each) - discount applied at checkout.

If you are a Greener Life member, you can get an additional 20%

If you're a member of the Greener Life Club at ED, use coupon code 20GREENER2 on Amazon for a little over $9 discount which is pretty much what they charge for it on the website (as a member). They wanted something like $50 to ship the 32 lbs. to me and even though I could also receive a few things free it just wasn't worth the extra $30.... hence ordering through Amazon. I have no idea what the justification is for charging so much more for shipping through their website..
Uh... ED? <awkward silence ensues>

I buy mine from Amazon 10 pounds for 39.99 and I have prime so shipping is free. At the local ace I buy the 100% lye for drains but it's just a little bottle and it cost 30.00 and you have to show your driver license and they act like you are some kind of dope maker if you buy it a lot. CRAZY... So just as easy for me to order online

Mine is drain cleaner (100% lye), from Walmart, about $3 per lb. Has been working so far. (And they definitely do not ask for your drivers license...)

I purchased at Lowe’s until I realized they were pretty expensive. I purchase from ED now...but I have been to Lowe’s in a pinch and I was itching to make soap but was out of lye.

Glad you found a good source. I looked all over this huge city -- Chicago! -- and have only found it at Lowes.
If you are in Chicago you should be able to find a chemical supplier, which is cheaper if you buy in bulk. I pay 1.20, price just went up after purchasing for less than a dollar a lb after 6 yrs, but is still a good price with no shipping. I will call it, but I do have to have resale and business name, plus show DL, but it is more than worth it.

Glad you found a good source. I looked all over this huge city -- Chicago! -- and have only found it at Lowes.

That's amazing! I've heard that lye is a component of meth, and that could be why it has gotten harder to find in stores.

Sadly, the Lye Guy's shipping has gone up so I'm buying from Duda Diesel this time. Plus I need a bottle of Phenothalein as well and they have it.

THE LYE GUY (New York) 2/4/19
www.thelyeguy.com

NaOH, 32 oz 3 @ $5.45 $16.35
Shipping: $17.65
Grand total: $34.00

$34.00 / 6 = $5.67 pound

DUDA DIESAL (Alabama) 2/4/19
http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=sodium+hydroxide

NaOH, 32 oz 3 @ $5.95 $16.50
Shipping: $11.56
Grand total: $28.06

$28.06 / 6 = $4.68 pound

One thing to consider with The Lye Guy is buy 5 (2 lb bottles), get one free. I bought my lye last time from Essential Depot when it was on sale, as the price was better. Shipping is a killer for lye though.

Now THAT's funny - for all our lack of regulations about other things soap related in NZ, we can't have lye shipped to us as it is 'dangerous goods'. It must be picked up. AND it's cheaper from the hardware store anyway.

Latest posts

Back