Lye,Lye,Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DUDA DIESAL (Alabama) 2/4/19
http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=sodium+hydroxide

NaOH, 32 oz 3 @ $5.95 $16.50
Shipping: $11.56
Grand total: $28.06

$28.06 / 6 = $4.68 pound
That's still crazy expensive! My latest purchase was for 32 lbs. @ $1.96 per lb. which includes shipping.

There was a time that I didn't mind driving a couple of hours for lye so would head to central NY for it. I could get it for 50 cents a lb. in 50 lb. sacks from a chemical distributor. The novelty wore off after about a year but if you have a chemical supplier near you it would be worth it to get in touch with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get mine from Essential Depot when they have a sale and they have a good discount on shipping. Last time I ordered it was like 38 something for 32 lbs and they had a 30% discount off shipping. You just have to search all your options including shipping when you need to buy it to get the best deal. Right now for 32 lbs it's 39.60 and 30.87 for shipping breaks down to 2.21 lb.

My input would help none of you haha but here's it anyway.

I buy my lye from a supplier that also sells pool supplies, for 95 pesos a kilo. Dirt cheap I think lol

But you guys just reminded me that I've never bothered to check purity. I should remedy that......

Last edited:
I also get form Duda Diesel . 50# pail, and the cost With shipping is $105 to MASS (they are in AR I think).
so basically it's $2 a pound with shipping :)
You HAVE to have it delivered FedEx Signature.

@deadken123
can drain cleaner be used, like sold at Lowes?

Not drain cleaner, but more specifically Roebic Lye, sold at Lowes. Costs a lot ($15.89/2 lbs or about .50 per oz, expensive), but it works fine, I use it. Staples and Menards sell it too (same thing, different brand), $6/16oz. but I haven't tried there - Lowes is 3 mi away from me. Home Depot, ACE Hardware, Walmart - no.

Cost comparison to BB, it's cheaper at Lowes when you include shipping from BB (if the lye is all you order; if you are getting a large order of multiple items, it can be cheaper). And you have instant gratification from Lowes, you don't have to wait 7-10 days for it to arrive from BB.

I had gone to a janitorial supply company near my work, near "downtown" (who shows they carry it on line) and when I asked for 100% lye, they made a face and said no - prob thought I was manufacturing... something other than soap.

Some of the men at Lowes look at me funny if they're at the check out (cuz I'll buy 2 bottles at a time) - most of the lady cashiers know what I do with it, I've even shown them pictures of my soap!

Generally I buy online since that's the cheapest I can get in bulk, and of course I shop around for the best price at the time when I need more.

But occasionally I buy 100% sodium hydroxide as a drain cleaner to use to make soap while traveling when I didn't bring enough with me to make soap (or didn't plan on making soap and didn't bring any at all.) I learned here on SMF that some ACE hardware stores sell it very cheap, but had never found it for less than about $15.00 (US) for a 2-pound bottle in the bigger chain stores. Well last year I did finally find an ACE hardware store that sold it in 1-pound bottles for about $3.50 per bottle (or maybe it was a bit more). In any case, finding an ACE hardware store with lye isn't always possible, but now I know from experience that it can be cheaper than the other sources I generally use. I know where most of the Tractor Supply stores are in many states because that's where I usually go for lye when I travel and they're often close to the freeway, whereas ACE hardware stores are generally downtown somewhere and not close to a freeway. In future, though, I'll try and find an ACE hardware store instead if I have the time.

That's amazing! I've heard that lye is a component of meth, and that could be why it has gotten harder to find in stores.

Yup along with cold meds thats why they are highly restricted well they are in England at least can only buy one pack of cold meds with psudo in. And meth is hardly heard of here.

I just ordered 10kg for £50 anyone in England getting it for cheaper than this? Never seen anything saying you need dl to buy or id but not seen any 100% lye drain cleaner in England either. Thats about 22lbs. My head doesnt work in lbs got it slightly wrong with my first amount i said with 100lb lol. So just figured it out and its £2.27 per lb for the lye where i order it from. Thats a chemical suppliers might see if my dad knows of anywhere he can get it from because this supplier sells boat related chemical cleaners so he may be able to get some when he visits the boat

@KiwiMoose we can only have it posted via a courier royal mail consider it too dangerous as well iv heard they arnt meant to use royal mail for fo too but just ordered some and yet it is arriving via royal mail 24 post not courier so goodness know how they get away with that as long as it gets to me i dont really care

People have said 100% lye but the stuff i get is 99% and is advertised for soap making and iv been using it for making soap since i started nearly 6 months ago so why does it need to be 100% if its drain cleaner or am i reading too much into that?

Last edited:
Generally I buy online since that's the cheapest I can get in bulk, and of course I shop around for the best price at the time when I need more.

But occasionally I buy 100% sodium hydroxide as a drain cleaner to use to make soap while traveling when I didn't bring enough with me to make soap (or didn't plan on making soap and didn't bring any at all.) I learned here on SMF that some ACE hardware stores sell it very cheap, but had never found it for less than about $15.00 (US) for a 2-pound bottle in the bigger chain stores. Well last year I did finally find an ACE hardware store that sold it in 1-pound bottles for about $3.50 per bottle (or maybe it was a bit more). In any case, finding an ACE hardware store with lye isn't always possible, but now I know from experience that it can be cheaper than the other sources I generally use. I know where most of the Tractor Supply stores are in many states because that's where I usually go for lye when I travel and they're often close to the freeway, whereas ACE hardware stores are generally downtown somewhere and not close to a freeway. In future, though, I'll try and find an ACE hardware store instead if I have the time.

I buy mine at Ace for 3.99 but was told if I buy a case of 12 they would sell it to me for 2.99. I will do that soon. that's at one Ace, another Ace is selling it for 5.99. I went to mills fleet farm and was told they had to throw all theirs away (must just be store policy) cuz of the meth users.

People have said 100% lye but the stuff i get is 99% and is advertised for soap making and iv been using it for making soap since i started nearly 6 months ago so why does it need to be 100% if its drain cleaner or am i reading too much into that?

It does not have to do with being a drain cleaner; if you use 99% lye, then you have to calculate your fat accordingly -- if you don't, you end up with +1% of superfat. (Also, what is the additional 1% that's in your lye? Is that something you want in your soap? --- Obviously, you have made a lot of soap with it already and it's okay, and it is also a tiny amount, but still.)

It does not have to do with being a drain cleaner; if you use 99% lye, then you have to calculate your fat accordingly -- if you don't, you end up with +1% of superfat. (Also, what is the additional 1% that's in your lye? Is that something you want in your soap? --- Obviously, you have made a lot of soap with it already and it's okay, and it is also a tiny amount, but still.)

Ok so i read more into this because your post made me have a little panic (i tend to have little panics about stuff and it makes me need to look further into things) havung read and read for about an hour iv come to the conclusion unless im misunderstanding @DeeAnna very plain and simple explination 99% purity ( https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lye-purity.59135/ ) is as close to pure as you will get and its not because anything is added its because nothing can be 100% pure. Am i right in how iv understood that Deeanna? So the 99% sodium hydroxide is perfectly fine to use. Iv also seen a post with irishlass saying she uses and has used 99% lye for many years without a problem. Im pretty sure they would be in hot water if they advertised it as suitable for soap making if it in fact wasnt. As far as adjusting the sf i never have and doubt i will do its 1% and i only superfat at 5% anyways and 6% is often used so unless that is something that really does HAVE to be accounted for think ill pass on that :)

Last edited:
Just to make you all feel good about what you are paying, I'll tell you that my first bag of lye was $16/lb. I need more so will let you know if I can find it for less....

Ok so i read more into this because your post made me have a little panic (i tend to have little panics about stuff and it makes me need to look further into things) havung read and read for about an hour iv come to the conclusion unless im misunderstanding @DeeAnna very plain and simple explination 99% purity ( https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/lye-purity.59135/ ) is as close to pure as you will get and its not because anything is added its because nothing can be 100% pure. Am i right in how iv understood that Deeanna? So the 99% sodium hydroxide is perfectly fine to use. Iv also seen a post with irishlass saying she uses and has used 99% lye for many years without a problem. Im pretty sure they would be in hot water if they advertised it as suitable for soap making if it in fact wasnt. As far as adjusting the sf i never have and doubt i will do its 1% and i only superfat at 5% anyways and 6% is often used so unless that is something that really does HAVE to be accounted for think ill pass on that :)
I think you're fine -- I wasn't saying it does have to be 100% (you're probably right that there is no such), just that it does not have to do with whether it's a drain cleaner or not. The purer the better probably, but 99% is very close. So, no panic attacks, please :)

I think mine might be 98%?

ETA: It IS only 98%! AND it says on the side 'perfect for making soap'! It has a website address to go to for a recipe with 50% CO - LOL!: http://cleanwithglitz.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Glitz_MakeSoap_Nov2016_2.pdf

The title of this thread always remind me of this song:
So cheesy now when I look at the music video. I saw these guys live in concert in Sydney about 34 years ago.

Last edited:

You are correct. Even food grade lye isn't 100%. I've used both with no difference in my soap. You can rest easy!:)

LMAO! This song has been playing in my head ALL WEEK since this thread started!!
Me too! Hahaha

@Chris_S I just did some math and your lye is so much more expensive than mine. 1kg=90 for me so 900 for 10, comes to only about 13 pounds give or take. Says 98% on the packet, too. Also says "good for soaping" @KiwiMoose.

I'm lazy to convert lbs to kg and then USD to peso lol

You are correct. Even food grade lye isn't 100%. I've used both with no difference in my soap. You can rest easy!:)

Thank you so much shunt im glad i researched it too but honestly i worry about things more than i should and even though i know its not worth worrying about i still do.

@atiz as iv just mentioned to shunt i worry alot this was just one of those things think i read more into it than you intended lol all good wasnt a panic attack more a worry induced research. Plus i was tired and that usually makes things worse all is good now that i have an answer :)

@Dawni you have confused me here our currency is pounds so is the 13 pounds money or weight lb? my heads just been fried by trying to setup sm3 on my new laptop and then transfering data to keep 2 databases upto date. Per lb for the lye i have just bought its about £2.50. Ill get this lot used up but i think ill go with the soap kitchen next time apart from anything the communication from this company is crazy back not had any confirmation that payments got to them or where the order is iv used amazon in past to order from them and its arrived next day but i ordered this on Tuesday early hours and its still not arrived and as i said no word via email or anything from the company. The soap kitchen sells it cheaper but the post is pretty expensive too so it lessens the value of the lye purchase. 10kg is about £13 cheaper than the place iv been buying it but i dont really like the idea of having to store 10x 1kg bottles its much easier to have 5kg bottles. But i guess now i know im paying a premium for less bottles its not worth paying the extra although i would need to find a new storage place for that many bottles

Last edited:
I've been looking for the most inexpensive lye for my CP soap.Since the lye is used up during sponification can drain cleaner be used, like sold at Lowes?Does anyone have a good source of inexpensive lye?

Thanks in advance,Ken
Do not use drain cleaner. I believe it contains pieces of metal that activate the lye when after is added to the drain. You do not want anything in our soap that is not a soap ingredient. I buy mine. Through either Amazon or, more recently, Bulk Apothecary.

Back