Lye ingredients question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thea

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and haven't yet had a chance to introduce myself (which I will soon!) but I have a question about some lye I purchased.

It is 97-98.2% sodium hydroxide but has a tiny amount of sodium carbonate and sodium chloride. Is it still safe to use for making soap??

Thanks so much.

Thea

Hi Thea and welcome!

I wish I had an answer for you, but unfortunately I don't. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come along and answer your question. If it helps at all, the lye that I use is 99% pure and it is perfectly fine even though I don't know what the other percent consists of.

IrishLass

thea said:
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and haven't yet had a chance to introduce myself (which I will soon!) but I have a question about some lye I purchased.

It is 97-98.2% sodium hydroxide but has a tiny amount of sodium carbonate and sodium chloride. Is it still safe to use for making soap??

Thanks so much.

Thea

Well, sodium carbonate is baking soda and sodium chloride is salt, so I'd say it'd be fine. I would only be concerned if it contained a chemical other than lye, like a chemical preservative or something like that.

Latest posts

Back