HP Lye Heavy?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not sure what happened. The soap seemed normal, but it got to whatever this stage is and stopped.
I've never seen this before. It's puffy, still zappy, and doesn't seem to want to continue. The only thing I can think of is maybe I miss measured an oil and it's lye heavy.

Has anyone had this happen before or know what is going on?

Edit: I have tested this soap soooo many times my tongue is starting to revolt. :nonono:

Attachments

• puffySoap.JPG
    puffySoap.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 10
idk. It sure looks like it seized. That looks like a crock, so HP? If it's CP I would ask what fragrance or additives you put in it. If it's HP, I won't be much help.

If you haven't used a new fragrance, then I'm with you, it's probably mismeasured oils or lye. But I wouldn't know how to fix it without knowing what was missing. If it's lye heavy it will probably be really brittle. kind of flaky. Like when you try to cut it, it will break instead of cut. And if it's puffy and zappy, then that's no doubt the problem. I tend to wing it a lot, especially on rebatches. You could grate it up and add it in to another fresh batch of soap that has a high superfat. The very worst that could happen is that you have to throw it out, next option is to use it yourself if it just turns out ugly.

I'm no expert on HP though. I've only recently been experimenting with it. and that's just making dual lye soap paste, and rebatching some old and seized soaps but adding a fresh soap batter mix to the pot with it. Everything I've done has turned out ok so far. But I've just never made a standard HP soap before. Hopefully someone more experienced with HP will chime in and give you some better advice.

I think I figured out which oil I measured incorrectly. So I added in 60g of lard and it saponified right away. By this time I had moved the batter to a large plastic pitcher. No I have to figure out how to wash lye heavy dished. Gloves, and lots of soap and water. lol

Latest posts

Back