Lye heavy. question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat

Reaction score
I know what allyour answers are going to be, but need to ask before I toss the batch. I was the one who made a 2lb rain scented soap, and forgot to add the castor oil at trace. The color turned out nice, quite white base with very light blue swirls - wanted darker, but oh well....(for a newbie I'm quite impressed with my swirls-pat on the back) :lol: I went to the lye calc and its didn't go danger danger red X, but it was a tiny bit high on the lye side. I cannot remember what percentage it was, but my question is, can and should I rebatch. Like I said in my previous post, I will re-read what to do for re-batching, and my "The everything Soapmaking Book" doesn't go into a good detail about this subject. BUT....the soap is also a little bit lye heavy. And the book says toss if lye heavy. What to do ppl??? Should I toss and learn a valuable "your need to be organized" lesson :( I will post what the lye calc said in a few...Thanks all!

what is your recipe including lye. why were you adding castor oil at trace? did you do a tongue test...does your soap zap your tonge.

OK...me again, I ran my recipe thru the calc. This is what I used.

10.5oz coconut
20.0oz olive oil
4.8oz lye
12.0 distilled water
should have added 2 tbsp castor...but I forgot...
2oz china rain fo

The calc says:
I should have added:
4.4oz lye
11.59 water at the above ratio

Should I toss this 2lb batch???? I dont think this is too lye heavy, looking at the above....but I'm so new, need some experience ppl's opinion.

I use Chris Mathes's soapsheet.xlt for my calculations. According to that you should have 4.6 oz lye and 10.1 water but that is with 0% lye discount. I am not really very experienced but I think you can superfat at rebatch. That would be the route I would try. I am sure someone more knowledgeable can give you better advise.

OMG!!! well isn't that good news!! I will read up on re-batching, or hand-milling as it is so called. Wonder, how do I superfat the handmilling? Can someone give me some pointers? Is this soap a bit lye dense? (is that a soap-er word)? Thank you again for your help & input.

Latest posts

Back