lye eats away Acrylic/Creamic base?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinsky86

Reaction score
I'm trying to make soap in my bathroom.
My co-workers telling me it will destroy my tub....
Is this true?

Making soap in your bathtub is probably not a good idea. What if you fell in??? :shock:

:think:
good point. but dont want to spend money. Sink, is also not an option?

Soap is made in a mold. The mold can be made of silicone, wood or cardboard. Anything but silicone should be lined with freezer paper or parchment paper.

And you should do your soapmaking in the kitchen. Soap batter shouldn't hurt your counter tops but you can cover them with a drop sheet or paper if you want.

Last edited:
Soap should be mixed in stainless steel or plastic with a 2 or a 5 in the little triangle on the bottom. Then it should be poured into a mold of silicone, plastic, or wood lined with freezer paper. It is far more comfortable to work standing at the counter. If you are afraid you will damage the top, you can cover it with a $1 tablecloth from the dollar store.

The Dollar Store is your friend .
I use poster board to cover my work area. When I'm done clean up is simple. Fold the poster board up and toss it.
To make soap I use:
a good scale accurate to 0.1 grams.
A proven lye calculator.
Plastic 4 cup measuring cups from Wal Mart. (80 cents each)
A small stick blender.
Wood molds lined withe freezer paper ( shiney side in).
This forum.

Not always in that order.

Wait, do I understand correctly? You were going to pour the oil and lye solution directly into the bathtub or sink? Or were you going to place the bowls into the tub while you mixed - to catch any stay batter that flew out?

If its the first case, then it sounds like you would benefit from some more research in lye safety, and the process of making soap. Let us know, and we can supply some YT vids, plus reading several sections in the beginner's section of this forum. Making your first batch takes preparation.

:think:
good point. but dont want to spend money. Sink, is also not an option?

Well the bathroom sink is definitely a safer option from the standpoint of danger of you falling into it. But what if your cat who curls up in your dry sink mistakes it with one filled with soap batter? You do realize that testing on animals in frowned upon?

Also do NOT let your lye come in contact with aluminum. Hydrogen gas can form, and that is not good.

ETA: Hydrogen of course is very flammable...

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GESJ2YUWRx8[/ame]

Last edited:
Back