Lye concentration?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobneaves

Reaction score
Howdy, this is my first post.

I'm very very new to soap making. Made my first batch a couple days ago, and probably did tons of things wrong... Anyway, I think I bought the wrong kind of lye. I went to home depot, asked for 100% lye, and picked up a drain cleaner that I was assured was 100% lye. The batch of soap that I made visually seems to be doing ok, but it's really hard to tell.

After doing some more research, it seems like everybody uses powdered lye. So I want to make another batch with the correct lye. I called a couple chemical supply stores in my area (n. california bay area), and the highest concentration I can find is 52%. Is this high enough??

Another side question... For scenting the soap, can I use kitchen flavors/scents like vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon powder, etc?

If it was a liquid lye you bought...DO NOT USE THAT SOAP! You can go to Lowe's and buy this brand of powdered lye;

Roebic Heavy-Duty Crystals. It is 100% Sodium Hydroxide. (caustic soda)

Here is a link to view what it is and looks like;

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

This is 100% safe lye! We can get you several online sources too. I stared out using this lye from Lowe's. I now buy in 50 pound bags.

Here is one online source: http://www.aaa-chemicals.com/5-pounds-t ... roxid.html
Thanks for asking, but that soap may very well be very dangerous! :shock:

Kitchen scents include, most of the time, alcohol. This makes the CP soap do crazy things no soapmaker wants to deal with! It is better to buy online or go to a Michel's or a Hobby Lobby and get a skin safe fragrance formulated just for soap. Not all candle scents are skin safe either, it must clearly state: Skin Safe!

Paul.... :wink:

bobneaves said:
Howdy, this is my first post.

I'm very very new to soap making. Made my first batch a couple days ago, and probably did tons of things wrong... Anyway, I think I bought the wrong kind of lye. I went to home depot, asked for 100% lye, and picked up a drain cleaner that I was assured was 100% lye. The batch of soap that I made visually seems to be doing ok, but it's really hard to tell.

After doing some more research, it seems like everybody uses powdered lye. So I want to make another batch with the correct lye. I called a couple chemical supply stores in my area (n. california bay area), and the highest concentration I can find is 52%. Is this high enough??

Another side question... For scenting the soap, can I use kitchen flavors/scents like vanilla extract, almond extract, cinnamon powder, etc?

Im in Northern California as well.. where are you bouts? You can buy you lye at Soap Saloon here in Sacramento. Its good to meet another local soaper!

Latest posts

Back