Lye concentration and multiple layers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As i go through my nightly ritual of finding a new soap design, i fell in love with a rather complicated slanted layers design, and the particular design is from the soap challenge club, which specifies adding all of your lye solution to your main batter, and then pouring your layers.

I have poured up to 4 layers in the past, but i usually separate my lye solution and oils by 25% and mix as needed, to give my layers time to set up.

The video I just watched didnt give her recipe, and i prefer to use mine anyway. But i normally soap at 33% lye concentration. If i lowered that to 30%, would that give me sufficient time to pour multiple layers?

Can you link the video? I've participated in a lot of the challenges and I don't remember one that all lye was added. But I can't remember every entry and process.

To answer your question, probably if you have a slow moving recipe and an accelerating fragrance that you add to each portion of the batter before pouring. But it also depends on how many layers you are doing, and soap behavior is never a sure thing. Is there a reason you wouldn't want to mix the lye/oils for each layer as you go?

Well, it has a lot of smaller and uneven layers that i am also not sure about calculations for each pour. This seemed like a good way around the math lol. Plus a good learning experience i think.

I imagine getting to emulsion first, then sb each layer. I am already cooling my lye, so i guess its too late to turn back now lol. But here is the video

My recipe wouldn't let me do that. But here's a thought - you could do half and half. I mean split your batter and lye solution in half. Mix the first part and separate that out for your colours for the first couple or three layers. Once they are done you could then mix up the second part of your soap batter and do the next few layers. I'm thinking out loud here because this is an option for me if I want to do something like this : )

So this was my result. Copy cat layers. lots of bubbles that i hate.

l
E651C67E-563C-4450-AD0C-F97DFA8F42F0.jpeg

Latest posts

Back