Lye Calculators driving me crazy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoSoapy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I really need help! I've always used SoapCalc when creating recipes but now that I've purchased the Soapmaker Pro, I'm trying to put my favorite recipe into soapmaker but I can't get it to come out the same!

My SoapCalc Recipe is attached. Can someone please help me figure out how to put this same recipe into Soapmaker?

Thank you so much for looking:-?

Here's the picture of the same recipe loaded into the Soapmaker program (the oils) and the 2nd picture below is the section for adding the lye & water info. The lye & water info is where I'm having a problem :neutral:
Soapmaker Recipe 1 (Oils).jpg

Attachments

• SoapCalcRecipe1.jpg
    SoapCalcRecipe1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Soapmaker Recipe 1 (Lye Water).jpg
    Soapmaker Recipe 1 (Lye Water).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 92
Both will work just fine. It is dependent on what the program used for sap, without knowing the exact sap value of an oil they use a range and one could use a slightly different sap for their program. Oil Sap can vary even due to age of the oil. I have Soapmaker but use Soap Calc simply because that is the one I learned to use. But soapmaker is nice since it will store all your recipes. I also like Soapee calc

But The problem I'm having is what should I put into the soapmaker software for the lye and water fields, b/c right now they are blank.

I don't know how to convert the lye water ratio from soapCalc to soapmaker

:sad:

Use the lye solution strength and set it for 25% for 3:1 water and lye, 33% for 2:1 water to lye and so forth. it's easier in the long run to just use those percentages.

I'm making three assumptions --
1. You have been a "full water" soaper so far and you want to keep doing that.
2. You've used the default lye discount (superfat) of 5% in Soapcalc.
3. You have been using "water as % of oils" in Soapcalc and have not yet made the switch to using lye solution concentration.

In the Lye section for SM Pro, enter 5% for the Lye Discount (aka superfat). That's the exact same thing as 5% lye discount in SoapCalc.

In the Water section, click the radio button next to Lye Solution Strength.
Enter 28% for the lye solution "strength" (aka concentration).
This will get you started using lye concentration at a typical "full water" percentage. This will give you more consistent results in your soaping.

Last edited:
Oh, thank you all so much. I'm gonna' try your suggestions and come back soon to give you an update! :)

Back